UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
On 31 December 2019, the Government of China reported a cluster of cases of pneumonia of unknown cause in Wuhan, the Capital City of Hubei Province. Since then, the coronavirus disease now known as COVID-19 has spread worldwide at an exponential rate and was labelled a pandemic by the World Health Organisation on 11 March 2020. In Armenia, the first imported COVID-19 case was registered on 1 March 2020 and local transmission has been registered since 11 March 2020. All regions are currently affected, with more than 2,000 confirmed cases in the nation as a whole.
The Government of Armenia has taken decisive steps to contain and suppress the epidemic, declaring a state of emergency on 16 March, followed by a full lock-down between 24 March and 14 May. All land borders have also been closed and all, but a handful of flights have ceased. However, the number of new COVID-19 cases continues to increase. This is putting pressure both on the health care system as well as the availability and quality of social services – both in urban and rural areas. COVID-19 is already having far-reaching impact on global, national, and local socio-economic systems. Like elsewhere in the world, Armenian businesses are being shuttered and people are losing their jobs, causing additional stress on already vulnerable persons, communities, and business.
In order to contain the further spread of COVID-19 in the country, the Armenian Government has declared state of emergency situation. Currently, the Government is undertaking large-scale measures to protect the population against infection and to prevent the virus spreading. In the framework of these measures, the authorities are putting utmost efforts to meet the needs of the population by, inter alia, improving the quality of provided support services and tailoring them accordingly.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The overall objective of the assignment is to support the MoLSA to analyze existing MoLSA information systems and databases to develop functional and technical specifications of the centralized Social Protection Information System. The first module which will be developed in the centralized system will be the Rapid Social Needs Assessment System for consistent registration of beneficiaries for targeted service planning and delivery within COVID-19 response and overall strengthening of the shock-responsiveness of the social protection system and integrated registry. Further on, the overall system architecture requirements of the centralized Social Protection Information System shall be designed and included as a part of the technical requirement specification document.
Under the direct supervision of UNDP Armenia Social Programme Manager and ICT Expert, and in close collaboration with the MoLSA working group on IT, the Expert will be responsible to:
- Familiarize with the existing databases and administrative systems of MoLSA, administered by Nork Informational-Analytical Center, with a focus on the case management system, Social bank and other and their suitability for rapid response;
- Assist in assessment of the existing information systems and databases in MoLSA
- Plan database upgrades by maintaining, evaluating, and improving a transaction processing model
- Assess database performance by developing a protocol for measurement of results and identification of problem areas.
- Support database performance by monitoring database performance; evaluating and resolving processing and programming problems; designing database management tools; answering user questions.
- Secure database by preparing access and control policies and procedures; implementing disaster recovery procedures.
- Support application design by contributing expertise to applications, operations, and technical support teams.
- Provide functional and technical support to ensure performance, operation, and stability of database systems
- Maintain and configure DB instances
- Keep clear documentation of the database setup and architecture
- Write procedures for backup and disaster recovery
- Ensure that the databases achieve maximum performance and availability
- Design indexing strategies
- Configure, monitor, and deploy replica sets
- Upgrade databases through patches
- Create roles and users and set their permissions
- Operational database for Social Protection Information System
- Payment will be made in one 100% installment upon completion and approval of deliverable.
- Clear understanding of cons and pros of different No-SQL Databases
- Experience working with PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle database systems
- Skills and knowledge’s of T-SQL, creating and managing database objects (views, procedures, triggers, etc.)
- Experience in designing and implementing automation scripts, backup, and restore procedures
- Knowledge of implementing ETL (extract, transform, load) packages and procedures
- Experience with Elasticsearch
- Experience with Apache Hadoop, HBase, HDFS, Apache Spark
- Understanding of software quality assurance principles
- Understanding production procedures and standards to create prototypes and finished products
- Strong familiarity with development technologies and databases
- Experience with designing analytical reports and BI solutions
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to synthesize complex information into understandable solutions
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with people of different social and cultural backgrounds
- Proven knowledge of communication tools, excellent writing skills
- Excellent coordination and collaboration skills, with the ability to work under time pressure and handle multiple activities and projects concurrently
- Ability to work independently and to participate effectively in team-based information sharing
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- MSc in in Information Technology, Computer Science, or adjacent field. A relevant university degree combined with qualifying experience in the area may be accepted in place of the advanced university degree.
- At least 5 years of experience as a database specialist, database administrator
- Experience in design, development and implementation of Databases
- Experience of working in a fast-paced office environment, including working and negotiating with government authorities and international organizations
- Experience in working in social sector, and good understanding of the sector is an advantage
- Previous experience with UN Agencies /UNDP or another provider of social sector assistance is an advantage.
- Fluency in Armenian and technical level English is required (written and oral).