DDG Non-Technical Survey / Risk Education Project Manager
Closing Date for Applications:
Overall purpose of the role:
The overall role of the NTS/RE Project Manager is to provide oversight and ensure implementation of all NTS/RE activities with DRC/DDG Programme in Western Sahara, East of the Berm, that includes: 1) training, education and awareness of ERW and safe behavior, resulting in reduced risk-taking behavior within the conflict-affected communities; 2) identification of hazardous areas through Non-Technical survey that will enable safe return of communities and/or land freed for productive use, while marking of contaminated areas, as part of NTS, will generate a decrease in the number of casualties; 3) Team management and supervision.
Staff management & supervision
- Conduct training for NTS/RE operators/facilitators, key people in the communities etc.;
- Conduct refresher training for NTS/RE facilitators and ensure the skills of the NTS/RE operators/facilitators are according to applicable internal and international standards;
- Supervise the teams and ensure that the tasked NTS/RE activities are carried out in the field;
- Ensure that the team has the necessary materials and other equipment to carry out the designated activities.
Planning, monitoring & quality management
- Initiate, plan and coordinate NTS/RE in targeted communities;
- Coordinate and lead needs’ assessment, baseline surveys and data collection in the field;
- Analyze data on contamination collected by the survey teams and provide reports on hazardous areas;
- Conduct regular Quality Assurance (QA);
- Act as budget manager for the project.
- Liaise with local authorities, community leaders, and stakeholders to ensure the smooth running of the NTS/RE activities;
- Maintain good communication with partner organizations;
- Maintain good relationships and communication with other mine action interventions in the area including those involved in survey, marking and clearance to ensure good coordination and shared knowledge.
- Prepare weekly/monthly/quarterly work plans;
- Prepare weekly/monthly/quarterly reports;
- Ensure that all reports from the field are properly completed and submitted in a timely fashion;
- Ensure timely reporting to the Head of Office, DDG Global Advisor and other relevant stakeholders;
- Keep monthly records of NTS/RE teams’ progress and activities
- Undertake any other tasks as required by Head of office.
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in MRE and NTS within humanitarian mine action programmes
- EOD 3 qualified
- Prior experience working with NGO is an asset
- Excellent working knowledge of International Mine Action Standards and experience in drafting standard operating procedures
- Excellent knowledge of non-technical survey and community support activities
- Knowledge of Mines and ERW encountered in Western Sahara and understanding of military operations
- Good knowledge of clearance methodologies and equipment utilized in demining operations, experience planning and implementing clearance operations is an asset
- Proven experience and knowledge of information management and analysis, IMSMA and Base Camp Garmin. Other GIS software is an asset
- Good writing skills in reporting and proposal development
- Ability to work away from home within remote environments for extended periods of time
- Excellent discipline with the ability to follow direct instructions
- Team-player who accepts DRC/DDG lines of management and is able to command authority him/herself.
- Well organized, proactive, flexible and trustworthy
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Computer literate, MS Office and DRC Dynamic
- Driving license
- Fluent in English both spoken and written. Knowledge of Arabic, French or Spanish is an asset.
- SMACO, UNMAS
- Ministry of Cooperation
- Commander of the 5th Military Region
- Saharawi community member and leader
- DRC/DDG regional office, DDG HQ