Who are we
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a protection of human rights framework, DRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by conflict. Programmers include protection, livelihood, food and NFI distribution, water and sanitation, and advocacy amongst others. DRC Yemen has been providing relief and development services in Yemen since 2008. DRC has mainly focused on refugees and migrants displaced by conflict and natural disasters.
DRC, through its specialized business unit, Danish Demining Group (DDG) aims to recreate a safe environment where people can live without the threat of landmines, unexploded ordinances and small arms and light weapons”. These goals can be effectively advanced through cooperation and joint action with other organization as well as with integration of operations and programs with its sister organization, DRC.
About the job:
- DDG EOD Team Leader will be responsible to provide strong technical support and management to the EOD Spot Task Team in South Yemen for the organization, delivery and execution of spot task duties and taskings.
- Liaise between EOD Spot Task team and EOD Technical Field Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities: (in bullet points)
- Management of spot task EOD teams.
- Contribute to the development of EOD skills for Spot Task Teams.
- Submit timely reports to EOD TFM.
- Support the EOD Spot Task Team with logistic preparations before and during operations.
- Support and monitor EOD Spot Task Team during operations.
- Support and/or take the lead on operations in the field.
- Identify and eliminate dangerous practices from EOD operators.
- Ensure all SOPs, guidelines and safety procedures are adhered throughout the activities.
- Adhere to all local safety rules as per DRC/DDG policies in Yemen.
- Liaise with EOD TFM regarding security issues before and during operations.
- Manage and support EOD Spot Task Teams in emergency situations.
- Liaise with and support operations room.
- Ensure constant communication with operations room.
- Report any security issues to EOD TFM after operations.
- Conduct post-evaluation with EOD TFM after each task.
- Regularly inspect and ensure all equipment is serviceable and in working conditions.
- Inspect each EOD Assistant before operations to ensure they are fit to conduct operations.
- Liaise and manage with locals during operations.
- Ensure that EOD Assistants adhere to all EOD safety precautions.
- Ensure that equipment, explosive material and vehicles is secure during operations.
To be successful in this role you must have
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum 3 years’ previous experience in humanitarian mine action and full understanding of its technical requirements.
- IMAS EOD 2 qualification and previous work experience as a Deminer.
- Experience of working in challenging and insecure environments.
- Diplomatic, patient and persistent.
- Must be able to read and write.
- Must be in good physical condition and health.
- Must have good communication skills.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- IMAS EOD 2 qualifications
Languages: Fluency in Arabic