The Department of Nuclear Sciences and Applications implements the IAEA's Major Programme 2, "Nuclear Techniques for Development and Environmental Protection". This Major Programme comprises individual programmes on food and agriculture, human health, water resources, environment and radiation technologies. These programmes are supported by laboratories in Seibersdorf, Monaco and Vienna. The Major Programme's objective is to enhance the capacity of Member States to meet basic human needs and to assess and manage the marine and terrestrial environments through the use of nuclear and isotopic techniques in sustainable development programmes.
The Administrative Officer ensures the provision of the administrative, financial and human resource (HR) support services required for implementation of the Department's programme in an efficient and cost-effective manner through interaction with the IAEA's management services.
The Administrative Officer is: an adviser to major programme, programme and subprogramme managers on the means of implementation of programme activities; a planner, planning administrative actions within a complex framework of administrative, financial and HR policies; an analyst and facilitator, reviewing and analysing proposals for implementation of the Department's activities, proposing to senior management solution-oriented options; an advocate, representing the views and needs of the Department to the managerial services; and an approving/certifying officer within delegated authority.
Functions / Key Results Expected
- Advise and support the Deputy Director General in managing the Department's financial and staffing resources, including the coordination of programme and budget proposals, performance reviews and assessments, implementation and resource reviews, and reporting requirements.
- Manage the Department's HR requirements. This includes: screening and/or authorizing HR actions; managing recruitment and staffing campaigns, including panel processes, to ensure sourcing, selection and placement of desired talent; and projecting staffing requirements for vacancy management and HR planning.
- Support implementation of the Department's programme activities by facilitating and monitoring the organization of meetings, overseeing and controlling the invitation, travel and payment of consultants and experts, reviewing Departmental duty travel plans, advising on travel issues and approving travel claims, and providing authoritative administrative advice.
- Represent the Department, and provide advice and input concerning specific requirements to interdepartmental groups and bodies on administrative issues, systems and/or processes for administrative management, and other related activities.
- Participate in the continuous IAEA wide and Department specific improvement processes with a view to identifying and implementing enhancements to business practices and processes.
- Authorize financial obligations as the delegated certifying officer for the Department.
Qualifications, Experience and Language skills
- An advanced university degree in management, business administration, or a related field.
- Minimum 7 years of relevant working experience in the management and coordination of human and financial resources, including at least 5 years thereof at the international level, preferably in a UN organization or inter-governmental organization.
- Knowledge of programme management, human resources and budgeting concepts and principles.
- Ability to communicate effectively and exercise tact in dealing with staff at all levels.
- Excellent oral and written command of English. Knowledge of other official IAEA languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) is an asset.