ackground Information - Job-specific:
UNOPS (The United Nations Office for Project Services), is seeking a highly experienced and dynamic leader to fill the position of Deputy Chief Financial Officer (DCFO). The position is based in Copenhagen, Denmark and will report to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO).
The Finance Group (FG) is a critical and strategic business function in UNOPS and serves as an authoritative and integrated partner in the organization on strategic financial planning and budgeting, business strategy and practices, financial analysis and risk assessment, financial management services and long term organizational treasury and investments. As the steward of resources of a self-financing UN entity, FG is accountable for timely cost recovery and reporting to partners, maintaining the integrity and transparency of financial management of resources in accordance with the highest standards of ethics and organizational/international accountability framework and the accurate and transparent financial reporting to governing bodies, clients, partners and stakeholders.
The Deputy Chief Financial Officer (DCFO) is a key supporting role for the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and will run the day to day operations of the Group while liaising with organizational stakeholders. The position plays a key role in the development and maturation of financial forecasting and planning systems at the corporate level. In addition, the position provides a key interface between various other parts of the global finance function and the financial reporting and forecasting infrastructure. This role functions as the “right hand” of the CFO and is heavily involved in strategic, budgeting and planning activities.
The DCFO directly impacts the effective management and financial integrity of UNOPS through the effective stewarding of organizational resources, maintaining appropriate controls and integrity of financial management in accordance with relevant international standards, enabling prudent management and growth of financial assets and building an informed and shared management engagement on financial issues in support of the UNOPS overall strategy.
summary overview of the functions the DCFO will deliver includes:
- Strategic advisory services
- Financial leadership
- Financial Management and Control
- Financial information and reporting
- Knowledge Management and Innovation
Strategic advisory services:
- Contribute to the formulation of UNOPS overall strategies and policies through advisory services to the Executive Director and Deputy Executive Director and participation in the senior management group on current and future business operations and strategy development and planning
- As requested, represent the CFO in the senior management team, ensure the strategic alignment of financial management policies and services with the business goals of UNOPS, sustaining the organization's ability to adapt and respond to the external environment
- Serve as a principal internal advocate for prudent management and growth of financial assets and build an informed and shared management engagement on financial issues, by advocating the value of linking financial and operational information for decision-making purposes
- Provide the senior management team with timely and accurate management reports, strategic advice and proposals to ensure the immediate and longer term implications, opportunities and risks of business decisions are fully considered, and aligned with the organization’s financial strategy
- Support the CFO, in ensuring the Executive Director and Deputy Executive Director are kept informed of issues, trends, and changes which are relevant to the operation of an efficient finance function
- Provide financial and other information to support the board’s decision making
- Undertake special projects at the direction of the CFO in areas of financial systems development, Global Treasury, and other areas to be determined
- Act as Officer-in-charge (OIC) in the absence of the CFO
- With the CFO, lead and empower the Finance Practice Group in the design and delivery of an integrated platform of services, which ensures highly responsive service to clients, management and project staff while safeguarding the integrity of financial systems and resource liquidity in accordance with UNOPS policies
- Assess the performance and efficacy of financial services and take decisions and/or recommend to the CFO major changes and/or alignment in operations to enhance and/or maintain efficacy
- Promote teamwork and collaboration by providing the team with clear direction, objectives and guidance to enable them to perform their duties responsibly, effectively and efficiently
- Plan, recruit and develop a flexible workforce with the skills and competencies needed to ensure optimum performance, and ensure gender and geographical diversity
- Foster a positive work environment, respectful of both men and women, and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed
Financial Management and Control:
- Lead the implementation of financial policies that capture developments in financial management, promoting the comparative advantage of UNOPS and demonstrating effective stewardship of resources to clients and donors
- Ensure that systems and processes for financial administration, financial control and protection of the organization’s resources and assets are in place and designed in conformity with appropriate ethical standards and monitor their continuing effectiveness in practice
- Review and maintain a well-organized, competent organizational structure of the Finance Practice as well as highly efficient internal financial processes at all times
- Ensure the maintenance of an effective financial management infrastructure that extends to all Regions and is responsive and adaptable to the varied business initiatives pursued by UNOPS
- Champion financial risk management by promoting innovation in financial controls, policies and risk mitigation mechanisms
- Provide recommendations based on analysis of various audit and other information to enhance financial policies and to implement necessary changes that will strengthen the financial capacity and controls throughout the organization
Financial information and reporting:
- With the CFO, lead the development and implementation of the UNOPS strategic budget process, providing guidance, support, analysis and input to stakeholders throughout, articulating important financial issues and proposing appropriate solutions
- Consolidate the overall budget for UNOPS, guiding and influencing organizational decision making to focus available resources on the most critical strategic priorities
- Monitor, evaluate and communicate budgetary performance through quarterly reporting to the Executive Office, and through the interim or mid-year review process.
- Provide oversight of UNOPS financial accounting and reporting activities, including annual budget development and implementation
- Ensure statutory financial statements are accurate and prepared in compliance with the International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS)
- Endorse all financial reports submitted to senior management, including reports submitted to legislative bodies and for certification by the United Nations Board of Auditors, in compliance with all applicable financial regulations, rules, procedures and accounting standards
- Drive improvements to the organization’s overall financial system and to ensure that the maximum benefit of management information is obtained
Knowledge Management and Innovation:
- Lead the development and introduction of innovation to ensure UNOPS is continually incorporating best practices approaches in the delivery of project services
- Ensure the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for corporate development planning and knowledge building
- Establish priorities, in consultation with the CFO and Executive Director, for targeted investments in growth and innovation and as a member of the UNOPS global management team, contribute to identification and implementation of innovation and continuous improvement in support of organizational excellence and world-class performance
Education: Master’s degree in finance, accounting, business administration, or other related financial field is required
- A minimum of 10 years of experience with an exceptional track record of progressively responsible leadership experience in financial management and accounting, including large team management.
- Knowledge of IPSAS, IFRS or GAAP is required
- Solid experience in the UN/Public Sector is highly desirable.
- Previous experience as a Deputy CFO (or equivalent) of a large organization, is highly desirable
- Full working knowledge of English is required
- Knowledge of another official UN language, in particular, Spanish, is an asset