Deputy Chief of Party
FHI 360, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Closing Date for Applications:
The DCOP will serve as the project’s technical coordinator responsible for ensuring that the project’s technical approach is tailored to the unique challenges and opportunities in each of the regions where the project operates and the unique opportunities of specific beneficiaries. The DCOP will supervise the technical leads of the project to develop technical approaches, content and partnerships that are contextually appropriate, flexible, and high quality. Additionally, the DCOP will liaise regularly with partner organizations to ensure high quality implementation, appropriate engagement of key counterparts and stakeholders, that project MEL is used to monitor and constantly improve program delivery, and that high-quality deliverables and reports are realized in a timely manner. S/he will be the main person to receive evidence (from inside or outside the project), analyze it with support from the M&E director, and provide the COP with strategic choices.
- Providing technical direction and oversight of project activities;
- Supervising in-country technical leads;
- Supporting positive relations with government counterparts and implementing partners through regular coordination and communication;
- Working with technical leads and project partners in each location to ensure a shared vision for project activities and outcomes, address implementation challenges, and encourage the sharing of best practices and project successes;
- Monitoring activities in each location against the approved work plan and ensuring alignment with the project monitoring plan and budget;
- Overseeing the accuracy and technical quality of all project deliverables, including periodic performance reports, financial and technical reports, training materials, and instructional materials;
- Ensuring that project technical teams have the technical and administrative support needed to ensure high quality and timely implementation of activities according to the workplan;
- Provide project level support and management during absences of COP;
- Deliver capacity building trainings and mentoring to project staff to improve the technical delivery activities.
- The DCOP must hold an advanced degree (minimum a Master’s Degree) in public health or a relevant field from a college or university.
- 8+ years of relevant project management experience providing technical leadership to major donor funded public health projects, preferably with activities or components relating to community engagement, capacity strengthening, and / or social and behavior change.
- 2+ years of senior project leadership of USAID or US government funded projects;
- Technical and/or project management experience in public health sector in Ethiopia.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively work with USAID and international donors, government counterparts, and project stakeholders;
- Demonstrated sufficient diplomatic, management and interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent team building and supervisory skills;
- Fluency in written and spoken English required; proficiency in local language preferred.