At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. A nonprofit international development organization founded in 1971, Pact works on the ground in nearly 40 countries to improve the lives of those who are challenged by poverty and marginalization. We serve these communities because we envision a world where everyone owns their future. To do this, we build systemic solutions in partnership with local organizations, businesses, and governments that create sustainable and resilient communities where those we serve are heard, capable, and vibrant.
Pact is a recognized global leader in international development. Our staff have a range of expertise in areas including public health, capacity development, governance and civil society, natural resource management, poverty, fragile states, monitoring and evaluation, small-scale and artisanal mining, microfinance and more. This expertise is combined in Pact’s unique integrated approach, which focuses on systemic changes needed to improve people’s lives.
Pact is recruiting a Deputy Chief of Party for an upcoming USAID-funded project in Indonesia that will focus on civil society strengthening. The project will empower civil society to strengthen democratic governance in Indonesia. It will focus on civil society at the local level and specifically at the district level and below.
The Deputy Chief of Party will work closely with the Chief of Party to ensure accomplishment of the project’s goals and will oversee the technical team in daily operations. This includes support to meet the project’s technical objectives; manage financial resources and program staff; manage partner coordination; maintain good working relationships with government officials, local partners, and stakeholders; and manage donor reporting. This position is contingent upon award.
- Ensure high-quality technical programming through hands-on staff supervision and partner support grounded in the program’s strategic objectives and adhering to expected technical quality and reporting requirements.
- Contribute to project planning, including the development of annual work plans and budgets; help guide and oversee the alignment of the budget to expected results; and review annual budgets and quarterly reports.
- Ensure the cost-effective use of resources.
- Ensure compliance with USAID and Pact requirements, policies, and regulations.
- In coordination with the COP, serve as a liaison to relevant donors, the local government, and other stakeholders.
- Provide training and mentoring to partners to strengthen capacity.
- Take the lead in drafting reports, including quarterly and annual reports to USAID.
- Support the recruitment of and directly supervise local project staff in line with Pact HR policies; oversee the management and development of project office human resources to ensure a diverse, skilled, and productive workforce, an effective leadership team, and an organizational culture where Pact’s values are practiced.
- Serve as Acting COP in the COP’s absence.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, such as political science, public policy, or public administration.
- At least 7 years of experience overseeing programmatic, administrative, and financial management functions of international development work.
- Knowledge of the political, economic, cultural, and social context in Indonesia.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills, creative problem-solving, and ethical management.
- Demonstrated experience in overseeing USAID projects and knowledge of USAID procedures, policies, and regulations.
- Experience managing large, donor-funded programs, with demonstrated capacity to create and/or maintain complex systems and procedures involving multiple implementation sites, multiple partners, and diverse staff and beneficiaries.
- Ability to manage and oversee multiple complex tasks simultaneously.
- Fluency in English.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field, such as political science, public policy, or public administration.
- Prior experience overseeing governance programs in Indonesia.
- Fluency in Indonesian.