Current Hiring Practices and Trends in the Development Sector
- BY David Mackenzie
SP-South Sudan (SPSS) is Samaritan’s Purse’s largest field office, operating across 5 bases primarily in emergency relief to refugees and Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs). As a critical member of the SPSS team, the Deputy Country Director-Operations (DCD-O) will provide general management of operational issues. Coordinating closely with the Deputy Country Director-Programs (DCD-P), the DCD-O will have responsibility for engagement with other agencies, the host government and donors. Based in Juba, the DCD-O will be a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) and will be required to travel to field sites frequently, providing reports back to the Country Director (CD).
Description of Job duties:
· Assist the CD and SMT to articulate and disseminate a clear vision and strategy for SPSS.
· Provide leadership, management and strategy for all operational aspects of the SPSS country office, including donor and government engagement to ensure compliance and effective service.
· Provide critical connections between Juba and field locations so that support functions in Juba operate effectively, efficiently and in a spirit of service to foster strong team morale.
· Provide direct line management of the Operations Manager, Human Resources Manager, Access Manager, select Area Coordinators (ACs) and the Ministry Program Manager
· Work closely with the Ministry Program Manager to ensure staff devotions and ministry outreach programs to the community foster spiritual development in line with the country office’s mission
· Work with HR department and PMs to enhance staff capacity with a special focus on pursuing SPSS’ strategy of building local staff capacity
· Provide timely and relevant reports for CD
· Act as Officer in Charge in the Absence of the CD
· Host VIP trips including media personnel, government officials, dignitaries and IHQ visitors.
· When needed, represent SP with journalists and media outlets
· Attend daily morning devotions and participate in prayer support for the ministry, its donors and volunteers.
· Be a spiritual leader for the International Field Staff and National Staff.
· Maintain a strong Christian witness to colleagues, vendors, charitable beneficiaries, and the general public.
· Be an ambassador of SPSS and ensure relationships with coordination bodies are strong and the profile of SP in such forums is positive and influential.
12 month contract with the potential for renewal.
This is an unaccompanied assignment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions, cooler temperatures as well as extreme heat. The employee is exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; and could be working in and around a disaster zone.
International Employee Benefits
Employees who choose to work internationally get to take advantage of the following benefits:
· Medical, prescription, dental & vision coverage
· Disability insurance
· Term Life insurance
· Retirement savings plan
· Ten paid holidays (holiday observance will depend on the host country)
· Annual home leave
· Twelve vacation days per year