About RI: Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 16 countries countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
Position Summary: Reporting to the Country Director, the Deputy Country Director (DCD) – Programs oversees the coordination and administration of all aspects of related to ongoing program activities in Turkey. This includes; planning, organizing, staffing, leading, and controlling program activities. Additionally, the DCD will ensure accountability and compliance to RI policies and procedures and in line with donor rules and regulations. The DCD is expected to contribute to quality assurance of program implementation across all grants. The post-holder will work closely with the program team and CD for the strategic development and management of Relief International’s programs. As head of the program team and the health technical department, he/she will in charge of the implementing RI’s projects and to improve the capacity and volume of the programs. This position will require exceptional flexibility in job function to serve the needs of a new program in a complicated context.
Position Responsibilities and Duties:
- In depth analysis of humanitarian context, trends, gaps, challenges and opportunities
- Participate in country strategic planning and contribute to the sustainable management of program growth, with a focus on new program development that addresses the needs of the beneficiaries to support the strategic direction of the country strategy.
- Facilitate rapid response and assessments, with written reports, analysis and recommendations to initiate emergency response.
- Lead the development and revision of program guidelines, policies and procedures.
- Provide overall leadership and direction focusing the program team on defining the mission strategy and achieving agreed targets and long-term strategic objectives.
- Identify and evaluate the risks and possible threats associated with program activities and take appropriate action to control the risks, communicating and collaborating regularly with the CD, Operations Manager and Risk Manager.
Program Management and Development
- Provide oversight, guidance and leadership to all aspects of program implementation in Turkey.
- Effectively manage program managers and technical team as well as M&E.
- Provide oversight and guidance to the implementation of the partnership guidelines and ensure capacity assessments are in place and action plans are implemented
- Provide capacity building and support to RI Turkey partners, as needed
- Ensure that program activities comply with all donor and Turkish legislation and professional standards.
- Oversee program-related staffing, security and financial needs per the program budgets, advising and course-correcting where needed through communication to the Country Director and other departments.
- Contribute to and lead program development efforts by identifying opportunities and working with Turkey CD, as well as RI’s regional and headquarters-based Program Development department, to draft proposals responding to those opportunities; Participate in the development of funding proposals and needs assessments for the program to ensure the continuous delivery of services.
- Develop ToRs and follow up on program staff recruitment processes and orientation.
- Ensure program team staffing is balanced, effective and sufficient. Ensure adherence to and enforcement of Turkey HR policies including punctuality, productivity and principles of a professional work environment within the program team. Consistency is highly valued.
- Provide capacity building to national staff in a variety of areas (management, leadership, work plan development, project cycle management etc).
- Develop overall staff competency through leadership, mentoring and coaching to program and technical departments.
- Conduct regular staff performance appraisals and annual performance reviews.
Grant, Budget and Financial Management
- Ensure program implementation and budget use is in compliance with grant requirements per donor (OFDA, ECHO, BPRM etc) with the support of the Finance Manager.
- Provide support to the program team in developing spend down plans, reviewing BVAs, developing program donor modifications and no cost/ cost extensions.
- Ensure program expenditure is on track and grants are not over/ under spent . Communicate regularly with CD on mitigation plans.
- Support the program team to identify partners through partnership framework and ensuring partners comply with applicable policies and procedures, review partner expenses and supporting documents and oversee capacity building plans.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- Oversee the preparation and submission of technical and program reports as per the grant agreement; Report progress of program implementation to the donor periodically through required weekly, monthly or quarterly reports.
- In collaboration with the Monitoring and Evaluation Department, develop a program evaluation framework to assess the strengths of the program and to identify and implement action plans regarding areas for improvement.
- Ensure that activities are on track and all M&E tools are in place and provide feedback to program team.
- Supervise M&E team and ensure overall implementation is in accordance with the agreed workplans , donor agreements and framework.
Coordination and Partnership
- As required, represent RI program to funders and potential donors.
- Maintain effective communication with donors and other stakeholders.
- Participate in NGO sector coordination groups (or delegate to appropriate technical leads) and identify areas for coordination and collaboration; Networking and bilateral meeting are key to success in this context.
- Maintain effective communication with CD and other department heads, and with RSO regarding program implementation as required.
- Frequent travel to field sites.
- Conduct stakeholder mapping to identify local NGO/partners for potential coordination.
Deputize the Country Director when required
- Take over the CD role when necessary, including external representation, risk management, overall mission management, regional/HQ relations and any other tasks normally undertaken by the CD
- Perform other duties assigned by the CD
Qualifications & requirements:
- This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment. Creativity, flexibility, strong work ethic and a sense of humor are highly valued. Exceptional individuals are encouraged to apply;
- Master’s degree in a relevant Humanitarian/Development field or Bachelor’s degree with commensurate work experience; technical experience in health, strongly preferred;
- Minimum of 5-7 years professional program implementation experience in conflict settings; including Program development and proposal writing experience;
- Solid background and knowledge of USAID, ECHO and UN Rules and Regulations;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, public speaking, and strategic planning skills required;
- The RI Turkey Country Office fosters an environment of respect for all coworkers regardless of level of seniority. Capacity building of national staff is a core competency of every expat position, and expat staff will be evaluated on their ability to strengthen the skills and growth of more junior staff and institutional partners such as Syrian NGO counterparts;
- Fluency in English (spoken and written) required; Arabic and/or Turkish language skills are highly advantageous;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, tasks efficiently;
- Excellent time management skills and resourcefulness with strong attention to detail
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation