Who we are
With over 50 years of experience, working in over 60 countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
The Deputy Country Representative (DCR) will oversee all aspects of ACMS, in close coordination with the CR. The DCR will focus on financial and internal controls, risk reduction, coordination of finance and program functions and program delivery. The DCR will assist in representing PSI to government, key stakeholders and donors; supervise staff; ensure contract compliance; manage financial, administrative and logistical resources; prepare, monitor and oversee budgets, marketing plans and work plans.
We are looking for a Deputy Country Representative (DCR) based in Yaounde, Cameroon to assist the CR in assuring quality programmatic and financial management. The DCR should have significant management and international experience with international donors, an interest in private sector approaches to development, French language skills, and be capable of managing a diverse staff. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated ability to lead finance and program teams and to maintain excellent partnerships with donors, the government and other key stakeholders. We are looking for someone with a proven track record of delivering results in multi-million-dollar field offices and fast paced environments under challenging conditions. ACMS’ program is highly impactful and highly rewarding for those who thrive when given a management challenge. The DCR will report to the Country Representative, PSI/ACMS.
The DCR will assume strategic, programmatic and operational management and oversight of ACMS in coordination with the CR. The DCR will be responsible for achieving a high level of project performance while assuring compliance with regulations across a range of donors, applying financial/administrative best practices. Specific tasks are:
Program Planning and Execution
- Provide quality and timely management of project lifecycle for all current donor projects including meeting programmatic and financial deliverables;
- Work with ACMS program and finance staff to ensure the coordination of program execution and budget management.
- Work with ACMS program and finance staff to administer SR contracts and monitor SR performance, including the continued development of SR tracking and reporting systems for programmatic, administrative and financial operations, as well as any contractual negotiations or remediary actions (as applicable);
- Supervise evidence-based research and monitoring activities to support health program decisions to evaluate and measure program effectiveness and to maximize health impact.
Financial and Internal Controls
- Support the Finance Director in ensuring that PSI and donor requirements regarding financial oversight and controls are met and ensure collaboration with appropriate teams in PSI/W;
- Develop and manage project budgets in accordance with donor and PSI/W regulations;
- Oversee the preparation of annual budget plans with the Country Representative to ensure they reflect maximum operational efficiency and adequate resources based on current and future funding.
- Meet reporting and compliance requirements as required by donors and PSI/Washington;
- Ensure that all PSI financial policies and procedures are followed and validated by internal evaluations and external audits;
- Ensure that Finance and Program teams coordinate well with each other and that programmatic teams are accountable for budget management.
- Foster and manage effective relationships with Cameroon Government authorities, donor representatives and appropriate PSI/Washington Departments including the Procurement, Finance, Contracts and HIV, Malaria and Reproductive Health Departments.
Capacity-building and Management
- Identify areas for staff capacity building that would lead to a more efficient and productive platform.
- Continually review processes and organizational structure with a view to increased efficiency and team work.
- Communicate, discuss and implement PSI’s policies and procedures as well as PSI’s strategic priorities with ACMS staff.
New Business Development
- Liaise with PSI/W for all fundraising opportunities and agree on priorities and next steps;
- Communicate PSI global and country strategy to local donors, partners and authorities with a view to identifying strategic overlap and opportunities.
- Bachelor's Degree (or international equivalent) in a related field required or Master’s Degree (or international equivalent) in a related field (i.e. MBA, MPA, MPH) preferred
- Significant programmatic and managerial experience in one or more of the following areas: reproductive health/family planning and neonatal care, malaria prevention and treatment and HIV/STI prevention.
- At least 10 years of related experience managing international public health programs of similar size in Sub-Saharan Africa required
- At least 5 years of experience managing people required
- Significant demonstrated personnel and financial management experience;
- Strong knowledge and respect for a complex and deepening compliance environment and the ability to assure ACMS meets such requirements;
- Proven leadership demeanor: calm under pressure, diplomatic, and decisive;
- Fluency in French and English with excellent writing skills;
- Proficiency in word processing, the use of Excel, and data analysis.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
- References will be required.