UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Complementing Egypt’s 2030 Sustainable Development Strategy, the country has a 2030 National Women’s Strategy (NWS) that focuses on women’s leadership and political participation; women’s economic empowerment; women’s social empowerment; and protection of women. In addition, the 2018-2022 UN Partnership Development Framework (UNPDF) adopted a strategic approach to support women’s empowerment including a standalone outcome area. Fully aligned with the above frameworks, UN Women Egypt is strongly positioned to promote gender equality and women’s empowerment based on its past and ongoing support, including to
- the formulation and operationalization of the NWS,
- the evidence-based progress monitoring of the status of women in alignment with the SDGs,
- the operationalization of the agreed conclusions of the annual Commission on the Status of Women,
- the areas of women’s political participation and leadership, women’s economic and financial inclusion, and combatting violence against women, and
- the creation and coordination of partnerships between Government, civil society, the women’s movement, academia, the private sector and international development partners through the Gender and Development Group, the UN Gender Theme Group and joint programming approaches from national to grass-roots level.
Reporting to the Country Representative to Egypt, the Deputy Country Representative is responsible for the day-to-day management of the Egypt Country Office. The incumbent is responsible for substantially contributing to the design, implementation, management and oversight of the country programme and to the operations supporting its implementation to ensure effective and efficient delivery of results as planned in UN Women’s Strategic Plan and the CO plans.
Duties and Responsibilities
Manage the programme team
- Manage the day-to-day work of the programme team, including finalizing the programme team’s annual workplan;
- Manage the process of programme conceptualization, planning, implementing and monitoring; and the management of material and financial resources;
- Lead the process of preparing programme implementation progress reports and identifying areas for UN Women Country Representative’s action and/or decision;
- Technically support the development of the Office security strategy and plan, as required.
Provide advisory and specialized technical support on the strategic direction of the office
- Advise and guide the Country Representative on strategic areas;
- Provide specialized technical and strategic support in managing all aspects of the programme design and related activities and for ensuring compliance and accountability in programme monitoring, reporting and evaluation;
- Develop policy documents, briefs and other strategic papers/materials for use in the development and presentation of innovative and coherent policy and programmatic positions;
- Serve as a senior member of the management team.
Represent UN Women in UN system coordination, with a focus on programming
- As delegated by the UN Women Country Representative, represent UN Women in the United Nations Country Team (UNCT) to collaborate with the Resident Coordinator and UN system on interagency coherence, collaboration, cooperation, resource mobilization, advocacy, common services, and operations;
- Ensure UN Women’s participation in UN system thematic and other working groups to advance UN Women’s mandate.
Provide technical support in creation of strategic partnerships and resource mobilization strategies
- Provide substantive research and inputs in the formulation and implementation of the country resource mobilization strategy;
- Establish and maintain relations with government, partners, stakeholders and donors to achieve active collaboration, cooperation and alliances on programme development and implementation and resource mobilization.
Represent UN Women and support advocacy strategies
- Represent and advocate for UN Women in organizational, regional, global, public information/ relations events and key meetings, as delegated;
- Develop and implement advocacy and public communication strategies.
Facilitate knowledge management, innovation and capacity building
- Manage the process of collecting and sharing lessons learned on gender equality and women’s empowerment to build knowledge and capacity of partners and stakeholders;
- Oversee the design and implementation of capacity building training activities to enhance skills and knowledge.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely and quality provision of strategic support and advise to the Country Representative
- Timely and quality delivery of the programme teams
- Regular interaction and establishment of joint activities and programmes with other agencies and partners
- Quality of inputs provided in formulation and implementation of the country resource mobilization strategy
- Quality and number of knowledge management and advocacy initiatives undertaken
- Quality mentoring, training, coaching which affects performance of Staff
- UN Women is seen as a reliable and trustworthy partner, providing substantial inputs to progress UN women’s mandate.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Excellent programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Ability to develop detailed operational plans, budgets, and deliver on them
- Ability to provide policy advice and support to partners
- Ability to synthesize program performance data and produce analytical reports to inform management and strategic decision-making
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent knowledge of Results Based Management
- Strong knowledge of the UN system
- Strong knowledge of local country context
- Strong negotiation skills.
Required Skills and Experience
Education: Master’s degree in international development, public administration, public policy or other relevant social science fields is required.
- At least 7 years of progressively responsible professional experience that combines strategic and managerial leadership in development programmes with a strong focus in the area of gender equality and women’s empowerment at the national or international level, preferably in developing countries within the UN system, Agencies, Funds or Programmes;
- Field based experience working with multi-cultural teams;
- Experience in leading a team.
- Fluency (written and spoken) in English and Arabic required.
- Knowledge of another UN working language will be an asset.