Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system, and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. Our mission is to provide leadership and encourage partnership in caring for the environment by inspiring, informing, and enabling nations and peoples to improve their quality of life without compromising that of future generations.
UNEP’s Communication Division raises the organization's profile, informs policies and influences attitudes, behavior and decisions related to the environment worldwide.
This position is located in UNEP’s global headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya. Under the supervision of the Director, Communication Division, and in close consultation with the Division's Head of Operations, the incumbent will carry out the following duties:
- Lead and coordinate UNEP’s global strategic communication at corporate and programmatic levels.
- Supervise the Communication Division’s Section Chiefs, nurturing innovation, creativity and ambition to reach new audiences with world-class, science-based communication and advocacy that is embedded within UNEP’s programmatic work.
- Oversee the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the Communication Division’s work in the context of UNEP's Programme of Work and its Medium-Term Strategy.
- Coordinate, manage, and administer the Communication Division’s work and budget in accordance with the organization's policies, procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Mobilize resources for the Communication Division and forge partnerships that amplify reach and impact.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Director.
- Advanced University degree (Master's or equivalent) in communications, public/business administration and management or in a related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of ten years (10) of experience in journalism, communication and/or public-facing advocacy focused on the environment or other science or policy-focused profession is required.
- Experience at the international level handling strategic communication is required.
- Five (5) years of experience, of the ten (10) years, at a senior level leading multicultural teams is desirable.
- Managerial experience dealing with the media and communications campaigns is desirable.
- Relevant experience in human resources, management, administration, logistics and financial management is desirable.
- Experience in partnership building is desirable.
- Experience in managing a highly skilled and diverse workforce is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.