Who we are:
We're Population Services International (PSI), the world's leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire by marketing affordable products and services that range from mosquito nets to contraceptives to HIV testing.
There are over 7,000 “PSI'ers” around the world. It's a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds - from the medical industry to the music business - all with unique skills we bring to the job.
The Anglophone Africa Market Grouping is one of PSI's top performing markets with 13 countries (Ethiopia, Eswatini, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia, Rwanda, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe). We generate approximately 30% of PSI's global health impact with about $100 million annual budget. The Anglophone Program Management Team (PMT) is hard working, cohesive, fun loving and gets stuff done.
We are looking for a Deputy Director to help us manage and support the 13 countries in the Market Grouping. The DD works closely with the Sr. Market Director co-leading the market group to help make markets work for consumers and deliver health impact. The DD should have the ability to guide countries through change as PSI pivots into implementation of the new strategic plan..
You will co-lead the PMT based in Washington, DC HQ office towards operational excellence by providing programmatic, financial, and administrative leadership and support to the 13 Market Group countries. You will work as the liaison between the Anglophone PMT and the global support services departments like Marketing, Evidence, Health Area leads, and Compliance. Ensuring developed global policies and strategies respond to the needs at country level. Along with the Sr. Market Director and the Country Representatives (CRs) you will represent PSI's activities with key stakeholders within the Market Group. You will:
- Support the dedicated TA and field based market advisors team consisting of the Regional Marketing Advisor, the Regional Researcher and the Regional Monitoring Advisor. This includes recruitment, development, training, and supervision;
- Build both international and host country staffs technical, management and leadership capacity;
- Represent Country and Market group unique needs during development of HR global policy and guidelines and ensure policies are rolled out, adopted and implemented at Country level;
- Develop and maintain systems that ensure the safety and security of the team and PSI assets in all aspects of its work according to best practices, PSI operating standards, and field realities. Liaise with the Global Security Department and Sr. Market Director on crucial events, high-risk periods, and incident reporting and security policy changes.
Build Institutional Strength:
- Supervise dedicated TA support and oversee implementation of the Market Group needs across the designated support in all PSI departments;
- Coordinate the platform strategic planning process and institutional strengthening initiatives, and provide consistent support to the Anglophone network members to achieve their strategic objectives;
- Support the Sr. Market Director to develop, drive and monitor the Strategic Plan, including coordination of the individual network member operational plans in achieving market grouping level and corporate objectives
- Manage the tracking of STEPS for a subset of Anglophone countries and support platforms to achieve and maintain these standards
- Serve as the primary liaison between Anglophone Africa and Global Social Marketing, Evidence, Health Areas, Social Enterprise and Compliance functions at PSI
- Assist the Sr. Market Director with other tasks and projects as necessary, including representing the Director in meetings as requested and representing the Market Grouping when the Director is unavailable
The Deputy Director will also support the Sr. Market Director in leading in the following areas:
- Donor Relations: Assist in building, maintaining, and /or strengthening donor relations
- New Business: Assist with building strategies for expanding business in the region
- Strategies & Objectives: Assist in setting and monitoring country objectives and strategies including input on the wider PSI strategic planning process and how it relates to the Anglophone network members
- Quality Assurance: Assist the Senior Program Managers in maintaining the quality of Anglophone Africa operations and assisting with overall programmatic oversight and management responsibility for all countries
- Other: Assist with other department activities as requestedQualifications
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI's corporate values:
- Collaboration: You can work independently, but thrive within a team.
- Trust: You trust that your manager and team will have your back and care deeply about gaining that same trust from your teammates
- Pragmatism: You dive in and maintain momentum even when things are ambiguous and you don't let perfect get in the way of good enough.
- Honesty: You aren't afraid to speak up and speak your mind.
- Measurement: You set clear and challenging goals and hold yourself accountable to driving measurable results.
- Commitment: You're independent and a free thinker, but you're ready to buy in to the direction of the team and commit to its success.
- Minimum five years' work experience in a LMIC country
- Senior management experience, in two or more LMIC countries preferred
- Seven years of personnel, program and/or financial management experience, in social marketing preferred
- Relevant post-graduate degree (MBA, MIA, MPH, etc.) or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of and demonstrated experience in international development and health issues
- Fluency in English required
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- This position requires 30% travel
- References will be required
- Must be authorized to work in the United States. B. PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship for this position [subject to legal eligibility requirements].
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
What would get us excited?
- Experienced manager. You have been a Country Director or Senior Manager of a large country or regional project before, preferably in sub-Saharan Africa. You have worked with a team developing and managing programs
- Capacity Builder: You have experience in building institution, local technical, management and leadership capacity
- Natural fundraiser. You have experience identifying business opportunities for health or securing funds from donors particularly USAID, DFID, KFW, and Global Fund.
- Collaborative manager. You are able to inspire a shared vision for the Anglophone PMT. You have successfully helped your staff learn, grow, and thrive in their work.
- A connector. You have experience working with Ministries of Health, health care departments, or global health donors. You are able to identify new donors and partners for programs. You are able to spot trends and keep the PSI Country Representatives updated and informed about health needs and opportunities in Anglophone Africa and globally.
- A Strategist and an innovator. You are creative, innovative and a strategic thinker. You have a strong interest in private-sector approaches to development and a proven ability to produce results.