Deputy Director, Regional Office for Arab States
UN Women, Cairo, Egypt
Closing Date for Applications:
Duties and Responsibilities
Advisory and technical support, programme management, monitoring and oversight:
- Advise, support, guide and provide input to assure quality control in the formulation of relevant, high quality, results-based and rights-based country programs and projects;
- Provide strategic and specialized technical advice to the Regional Director on the development of systems, processes and mechanisms to support effective programme planning, implementation, monitoring and timely progress reporting;
- Plan and implement the support provided to the Country Offices to ensure timely and appropriate services are provided as required. Identify areas of competencies and/or weakness to ensure focused and targeted services are provided;
- Monitor the progress on mutually agreed results frameworks and performance indicators and timely action/decision and/or provide timely support;
- Lead the process of gathering information and prepare reports for HQ on progress of programme implementation under the responsibility of the Regional Centre, assessing results and identifying areas for the Regional Centre Director's action and/or decision to ensure achievement of results as planned and in accordance with UN Women's goals and objectives and accountability framework;
- Identify areas that may require improvement and capture best practices/lessons learned, using corporate monitoring tools, as such as the Balance Score Card, Atlas Snapshot and Dashboard, Staff Surveys, Audits and other corporate reports. Take action to improve areas of weakness;
- Manage the timely allocation of funds to field offices under the responsibility of the Regional Office. Monitor and ensure the appropriate utilization of resources approved and allocated to regional programmes and projects that are managed by the Regional Office;
- Review and evaluate proposals submitted to the Regional Office and oversee the preparation of donor proposals and reports to ensure quality, compliance with requirements as per established rules, regulations and, alignment with UN Women Strategic Plans and regional priorities;
- Draft policy documents, briefs and other strategic papers/materials for the Regional Director and HQ for use in the development and presentation of a coherent regional perspective.
Advocacy and support to UN coordination, joint programming and reform:
- Support UN Women Senior Management and the Regional Director's advocacy efforts to raise awareness and stimulate action to advance women's human rights and form strategic partnerships with government, NGOs, academia, media and the private sector. Provide support to Country Offices in their fundraising efforts;
- Forge strategic partnerships with other UN system agencies to promote gender equality and women's advancement through joint projects and interagency efforts. Participate as required in regional coordination mechanisms, and support coordination and coherence in the UN System's work on gender equality and empowerment of women, including UN reform in the region;
- Actively seek out participation of UN Women in UN system thematic and other working groups to establish effective networks and to keep abreast of the ongoing debate and thinking on aids development, facilitate joint programming and promote UN Women competencies and interests to advance gender and women's human rights.Knowledge management and capacity building:
- Ensure regular assessments of regional and country strategic and implementation plans. Identify lessons learned and areas of emphasis to guide programme improvements and future strategic development plan;
- Manage the process of collecting and sharing lessons learned on gender equality and women's empowerment to build knowledge and capacity of partners and stakeholders;
- Design and implement capacity building training activities to enhance skills and knowledge in Results Based Management, Results based budgeting and systematic quality assurance;
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of global and regional programme knowledge networks and practices, and development of knowledge products.
Support to operations management:
- Within the scope of delegated authority from the Regional Director, support and monitor the planning and management of operational services, i.e. human, financial, procurement and IT services of UN Women regional and country programmes and projects, ensuring compliance of all services according to rules, regulations, processes and procedures and UN Women accountability framework.
- Master's degree (or equivalent) in a development-related area, including economics, public policy or other social science fields.
- At least 10 years of extensive development experience that combines intellectual, strategic and managerial leadership in development programmes some of which should be in the area of gender equality, preferably in developing countries within the UN system, Agencies, Funds, Programs, or UN Mission;
- Experience with managing, supporting and overseeing development policy-making, programme and operations management, resource mobilization and partnership creation.
- Fluency in written and spoken English;
- Working knowledge of another UN Language, especially Arabic, will be an asset.