Title: Deputy Director, FP/RH
Department: Family Planning (FP) and Reproductive Health (RH)
Based in Washington, DC
Up to 25% international travel
Reports to the Director, FP/RH
Who we are
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire by marketing affordable products and services that range from mosquito nets to contraceptives to HIV testing.
There are over 9,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds - from the medical industry to the music business - all with unique skills we bring to the job.
Are you looking to be a transformational leader family planning and reproductive health programming? PSI is looking for a Deputy Director to help the organization strengthen, scale-up and evolve contraceptive and safe abortion markets worldwide.
The Deputy Director should have significant leadership, management, and international development experience; a demonstrated track record in successfully managing donor and partner relations; an understanding of market dynamics across the value chain; a strong interest in innovative approaches to development; and experience successfully implementing and scaling up FP/RH programs centered around increasing both demand and access to FP/RH products and services.
This position requires teamwork, coordination, creativity, flexibility, and a can-do attitude! We want someone who can roll up their sleeves to make things happen, manage multiple and competing priorities, enjoy their work, and liaise diplomatically and effectively with multiple stakeholders and diverse teams. You are able to see the big picture while understanding program details.
Sound like you? Read on.
With the Director and the FP/RH senior team, guide PSI’s and its network members in the adoption and execution of innovative, evidence-based approaches to contraception and safe abortion programming as laid out in the organization’s and department’s strategic goals and priorities. You will be required to work with and through multiple stakeholders thus strong communication and collaboration skills are key.
Shape Market Systems:
- Provide strategic input and technical assistance to key geographies on contraception and safe abortion priorities per country operational plans, FP/RH strategic priorities and market factors
- With the director, work with regional directors and other key departments to identify priority geographies, technical assistance priorities and identify an approach to meet these needs.
- Provide strategic leadership and technical guidance to FP/RH programs in advanced markets with evolving FP/RH portfolios and financing mechanisms (e.g. India, Kenya).
- Coordinate with the Marketing Department to provide strategic input and support into the Keystone framework and implementation in priority geographies
- Act as a technical lead for FP/HIV integration efforts as well as emerging contraceptive products in collaboration with key technical staff.
Shift Policy and Funding
- Actively lead efforts, in collaboration with Department Director and Sr Team, to support new funding streams (existing donor and new donor with a focus on Europeans) and to develop innovative funding streams in support of strategic priorities, including providing technical expertise and creativity in the design and drafting of proposals for new business.
- Develop an internal system for more proactive support to new business opportunities in collaboration with the New Business Development Department.
- Act as department focal point for relevant social enterprise and innovative financing initiatives to ensure we have a cohesive strategy and approach grounded in public health and market needs
- Represent the department as needed and as identified including with key donors, technical partners, individual donors (e.g. Maverick) and other key constituents.
Strengthen Global Capacity
- Oversee the development and management of the department’s annual operating budgeting including staff time allocation (and a related system), in collaboration with the department’s financial analyst.
- Oversee the FP/RH Evidence and Quality agendas and teams; work with relevant team members to ensure strong communication and strategic contribution to knowledge management and thought leadership both within the organization and externally
- Work with relevant team members, Regions and Program Analytics to track contraceptive and safe abortion progress and identify learnings to share across the organization as well as key action items to contribute to realization of global strategic goals and objectives.
- Oversee the organization of monthly department meetings as well as progress on internal strategic priorities.
- Manage at least one technical advisor in addition to members of the Evidence and Quality teams.
- Ensure the department has appropriate systems in place to ensure compliance in areas such as consultancy procurement, sub-agreements etc.
- Co-develop an annual department action plan
What are we looking for?
- You have a Masters degree in public health, social sciences, international development, business, or related field
- You have 10+ years of professional experience, with at least 2 years of overseas work experience in implementing family planning and reproductive health programs
- Exceptional managerial and operational experience, preferably managing complex donor funded activities involving coordination with multiple stakeholders
- Experience working with private sector actors such as pharma
- You are fluent in English; French. Spanish, or Portuguese language skills are a plus.
- You are organized, have strong communication skills and can manage multiple priorities.
- You are able to work with and through individuals to influence strategic priorities.
- You are willing to travel and get work done-- sometimes on short notice.
- You are able to analyze data to tell an effective story.
- You are proactively identifying solutions to problems.
What would get us excited?
- Experience communicating effectively in international organizations; getting things done while always keeping multiple stakeholders happy.
- Someone who is serious and yet doesn’t take themselves too seriously.
- An advocate. You have experience working with Ministries of Health, international organizations, or global health donors in the areas of FP/RH.
- Someone who is versatile and ready to jump right in, fill gaps when and where needed, and manage a full plate efficiently and effectively all while seeing the big picture.
- A demonstrated passion for sexual reproductive health including safe abortion programming.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.