The Response Innovation Lab (RIL) is a partnership of Oxfam, World Vision, Save the Children, and Civic. The core role of this partnership is to manage field-based labs operating in humanitarian responses. Currently, RIL is running labs in Somalia, Iraq, Jordan, Uganda and Puerto Rico, with possible expansion to more location within the year.
The Deputy Global Director – Programmes will be responsible for:
- All operations oversight across Country Labs, each with their own Country Lab Directors under the RIL franchising model. Each lab has slightly different programming depending on the needs of the country.
- Maintaining and direction setting of the global network of Country Labs to ensure all RIL Labs are learning from one another, joint problem solving, and coordinated policies and practices are implemented.
- Supporting the Country Labs to develop their strategic plans and operational plans including establishment of the Country Lab Executive Committee (a tri-party committee made up of the Lab Host, together with an Innovation and Local
- Global evidence and learning staff and program to ensure the research, learning, MEAL and operations are all working together with a tight feedback and iteration feedback loop.
- Managing the build and iteration of the Humanitarian Matchmaker and convene functions that are offered as part of the RIL model.
- Daily operational activities are managed by the in country Lab Directors and their teams and the Global Program Director supports all Labs together ensuring that the performance of the whole program across labs and countries meet policy and performance standards, budget and business plans.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Oversight and support of programs and operations of the RIL Country Labs; Support the building, learning and sharing of innovation program to and between the Country Labs. Lead the global operations and connections between Country Lab needs and global support offerings.
- Developing and executing Lab Country strategy, and supporting development of the Global strategy from Country Lab Strategies.
- Preparing and implementing comprehensive strategic and business plans to facilitate achievement by planning effective, innovative operations and market development activities.
- Ensure RIL policies and legal guidelines are communicated and implemented all the way from the top down.
- Ensure risk mitigation measures in place at the field level to prevent RIL policies and legal guidelines not being properly adhered to .
- Oversee organisational financial performance, investment and other business ventures.
- Support Lab Managers to broker partnership to support achievement of the Country Lab.
- Supervise the work of Lab Directors and provide guidance and motivation for maximum performance.
- Read submitted reports by Lab Directors and reward performance, prevent issues and resolve problems.
- Anaylse problematic situations and occurrences in the Country Labs and provide solutions to ensure organizational survival and growth.
- Ensure excellence in execution of all Country Labs programs and projects on a consistent basis.
- Contribute to development of global and country Lab risk matrix and mitigation strategies, ensure these are updated regularly and in line with global RIL policies.
- Manage the global matchmaker platform and convene service. Ensuring the right sustainable relationships, support and connections globally and iteratively improving the matchmaker program.
- Ensure iterative improvements of the RIL service package.
- Facilitate entrenchment of a culture of innovation through effective cultivation of ideas, best practices, pivoting and harnessing of lessons.
- Supporting successful innovations from Country Labs with business development to scale regionally and internationally.
- Support and influence fundraising for RIL Country Labs and their successful projects, review funding proposals and assess their strategic value, potential for partnership leverage and assess reputational risk.
- Ensure sound knowledge management practices in the global support unit, and the Country Labs.
- Oversee the effective and innovative operations of the Country Labs.
- Draft Policy for approval for organizational needs.
- Identify and evaluate organizational risks and implement risk management controls.
- Communicate and maintain trust and relationship with Founding partners and other partnership types.
- Act as a public speaker and public relations representative of the organization in ways which strengthens its profile.
- Develop partnerships with a diverse range of stakeholders involving technology, commerce, innovation, humanitarian and government globally which meet the needs of the organisation and Country Labs.
- Develop and ensure partnership systems to support connections between Country Lab needs and global support offers, partner strengths availability of global resources.
- Support Country Lab Directors to identify and broker in-country partnerships to further the goals of the RIL, and support them to establish and run the Country Lab Executive Committee.
Learning and Reporting:
- Develop and support Country Lab learning individually and between labs.
- Ensure accurate documentation of good practices, results, learning and impact of programs.
- Share the lessons learned from local to global (between the Labs, and into global learning networks) and from global to local (global learning on good innovation practice and projects from global learning networks).
- Support development and use of monitoring and evaluation tools.
- Dissemination of evidenced based outcomes to potential partners and donors to support increase of funding base.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- University degree in international development, business administration, social policy, communications or related fields is desirable.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- 7-10 years experience in an incubator, a start-up advisory, social enterprise, innovation space, project management or entrepreneurial experience, or humanitarian sector role with work on innovation initiatives.
- This position requires a team player with leadership qualities, excellent flexible project management skills, a partnership guru, a professional and positive attitude, organization and dependability.
- Strong connector and developer skills; capacity to prioritise and manage a diverse range of staff members, projects and activities.
- Ability to solve complex problems and to exercise independent judgment.
- Experience working in a developing country.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Good oral/written and interpersonal skills.
- Confident communication and documentation skills; ability to represent the lab to a variety of stakeholders in a range of forums.
- Able to work on a cross-cultural environment with a multi-national staff.
- A commitment to RIL principles and values.