The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) is an international organisation comprised of 37 member countries, that works to build better policies for better lives. Our mission is to promote policies that will improve the economic and social well-being of people around the world. Together with governments, policy makers and citizens, we work on establishing evidence-based international standards, and finding solutions to a range of social, economic and environmental challenges. From improving economic performance and creating jobs to fostering strong education and fighting international tax evasion, we provide a unique forum and knowledge hub for data and analysis, exchange of experiences, best-practice sharing, and advice on public policies and international standard-setting.
On behalf of the Secretary-General, the Executive Directorate (EXD) supports the Organisation in the following areas: financial management, human resource management, information technology, internal communications, conference management, security (both physical and digital), translation and interpretation, knowledge and information management (in co-ordination with the Public Affairs and Communication Directorate), risk management, crisis management and all operational services including building infrastructure and logistics.
Within the Executive Directorate, the mission of the Human Resource Management Service (EXD/HRM) is to develop and implement policies, programmes and services which support and foster:
- the recruitment, retention and promotion of the best-qualified individuals, while recognising and encouraging diversity in the workplace,
- a workplace environment that is inclusive, ethical, safe and healthy, while respecting individual needs and goals,
- a competitive employee value proposition, including with regard to salary and benefits,
- the development of staff’s potential by providing learning and development opportunities and supporting professional growth and career progression, and
- effective leadership capacity and management excellence.
- EXD/HRM employs a workforce of approximately 80 staff members who provide stewardship of the Organisation’s human capital on behalf of the Secretary-General.
- EXD/HRM is currently seeking a Deputy Head. The position is located in Paris, and the selected candidate will report directly to the Head of Service on a wide range of HR matters covering corporate HR management, policies and practices.
- Lead by example, providing HRM team members with clear, ethical and actionable direction, in support of EXD/HRM strategic and operational initiatives.
- Assist the Head of EXD/HRM with oversight support and operational management of the Service at large to ensure the timely provision of high quality advice, support and HR service delivery across the OECD.
- Foster cohesion across the Service and with other Services in EXD, as well as strong support for business relations with client Directorates.
- In her/his capacity as Deputy Head and a key member of EXD/HRM’s senior management team, represent or replace as necessary, the Head of EXD/HRM at internal senior level meetings, meetings with Members and key stakeholders (i.e. Council, Executive Committee, Budget Committee, Audit Committee, Staff Association and Delegations).
- Play a key role in supporting the Head of Service in the modernisation of the HR management framework, functions and projects currently underway.
Liaison and co-ordination
- Oversee the timely provision of relevant briefing material to the Executive Director and senior staff within EXD, supporting and contributing to integrated EXD advice and to EXD horizontal projects.
- Ensure effective liaison with the Head of Ethics, including a smooth, progressive working relationship on Ethics related activities.
- Validate communications to All Staff and Staff Groups (i.e. Directors, Heads of Service, RMAs) on a wide range of HR related matters.
- Engage with Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), i.e. Internal and External Auditors, Staff Association, Data Protection Officer (DPA), Resource Management Advisors (RMAs), GLOBE, Women’s network and other key stakeholders on a wide range of HR related matters, and brief up to Head of Service and to Executive Director, for situational awareness, as necessary.
HR policies and rules
- Contribute to the drafting and oversight of HR people management policies as required, including modifications to the Staff Regulations and Rules applicable to Officials in liaison with EXD/DO, HR legal staff, the Directorate for Legal Affairs and external consultants when applicable.
- Collaborate with Client Services Group team members and Directorates on client and employee relations, providing related advice and guidance as necessary.
- Ideal Candidate Profile
- Advanced university degree in human resources, business administration, employment law, or organisational development.
- Minimum ten years of relevant professional experience with proven capacity in the successful management of HR programmes in public or private sectors
- Minimum five years’ of people management experience with proven positive results
- Substantial professional experience in an international or diverse, cross-cultural setting
- Knowledge and understanding of HR policies, rules and procedures in an International Organisation would be an advantage
- HR policy development and implementation
- People management
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, gender balance, and sensitivity to cross-cultural issues
- Fluency in one of the two OECD official languages (English and French) and knowledge of the other, with a commitment to reaching a good working level in the medium-term.