Deputy Head of Programming
CRS, Erbil, Iraq
Closing Date for Applications:
The Deputy Head of Programs (DHoP) will contribute to providing strategic direction and management of the Country Program's (CP's) programming, complementing the Head of Programming (HoP) efforts at ensuring the establishment and successful implementation of high-quality programs serving conflict-affected Iraqis. The DHoP's management and programming skills will ensure that the CP delivers high-quality programming and continuously works towards improving the impact of its programming.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
- Effectively manage talent and supervise. Manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Provide coaching, strategically tailor individual development plans, complete performance assessment for direct reports, and support direct reports to build and strengthen their teams.
- Complement the HOP in providing strategic direction for the design of CP strategic frameworks and plans, including resource mobilization strategies to optimize the impact of programming interventions in line with regional and agency strategic priorities.
- Lead where appropriate and contribute to high-quality project design incorporating project management standards and MEAL methods, appropriate to scope, context and technical requirements of projects. Coordinate planning of activities for particular projects to ensure integration of program interventions and efficiency in implementation.
- Create and maintain the proper conditions for learning within and across program teams. Help establish a safe environment for the sharing of ideas, solutions, and difficulties and the capacity to detect, analyze and respond quickly to small deficiencies. Promote accountability, learning and knowledge management as part of the implementation of the MEAL policy.
- Coordinate with CP operations staff to ensure appropriate project budgeting, efficient use and stewardship of project material sources, and management of risk within the portfolio managed by the DHoP.
- Coordinate the identification, assessment and strengthening of appropriate partnerships and the appropriate application of partnership concepts, tools and approaches.
- Contribute and lead business development cycle, as needed, to ensure quality proposals and agency and donor reports and updates per set standards.
- Coordinate technical assistance and capacity strengthening for project teams and partners in project management standards and related MEAL, business development, and operational activities. Help identify training opportunities, develop training curriculums and deliver trainings.
- Master's Degree in International Development, International Relations or relevant field.
- Minimum of 5 years work experience in a program management and/or technical advisor position with progressive responsibilities for an international NGO.
- Good experience in project grants management, including project design, budget preparation, expenditure tracking, monitoring and evaluation, reporting, etc., preferably for projects funded by multiple public donors, including OFDA, PRM, and/or USAID.
- Experience with successful business development activities capturing public and/or private donor funding.
Required/Desired Foreign Language:
- Excellent verbal and written English required; Arabic preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
- Strong relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Team leadership abilities
- Presentation and facilitation skills
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions oriented and results-oriented
- Excellent English writing skills.
- Experience engaging partners and strengthening partnerships. Experience working with Church partners a plus.
- Staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment.
- Some experience and abilities in capacity strengthening - developing curricula and facilitating trainings.
- Experience using MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications (MS Teams), information and budget management systems, and knowledge sharing networks.