Oxfam is a confederation of 17 affiliates committed to creating a just world without poverty. In Nigeria Oxfam works in the areas of Economic Justice/Sustainable Livelihoods, Humanitarian Programming to save lives, Advancing Gender Justice and Good Governance, adopting a right based approach.
- To represent, manage and ensure effective implementation of Oxfam’s Lake Chad Basin Response in NE Nigeria.
- Response program in North East Nigeria, contributing to the overall country strategy.
- Program activities are via direct implementation, working through partnership with local partners and through advocacy.
- Provide strategic and operational management of programs, people and funds
- Influences the development of strategy and ensures and supports operational implementation.
- Develops solutions to diverse and complex problems within organizational policy.
- Flexibility to anticipate and resolve challenges within corporate or divisional parameters, with moderate scope
- Influence managers, staff and volunteers in Oxfam and develop effective networks with external bodies.
- Ability to analyze and communicate complex information to a wide audience.
- Decision-making and judgement based on technical and management experience,
- Representation in coordination meetings and external relationships as appropriate
Budget Responsibility: The role has budget oversight for delegated parts of the response portfolio
- Ensure that key Oxfam policies are implemented and strategies are adjusted according to the local context,
- Work with Program Managers (heads of field offices) and technical coordinators to ensure standards of reporting, program quality and accountability are met,
- Cover/gap fill for Program Managers during planned or sudden absence (if necessary).
- Take the lead in proposal development/design with support from Technical leads, Funding Coordinator and Program Coordinator
Staff & team management: In line with Oxfam performance management procedures, line manage the field based Program Managers and Maiduguri-based Team Leaders; ensuring that overall performance management is in place and used effectively.
- Support the Program Coordinator and Country Director in designing and managing an appropriate response strategy for the NE Nigeria Response, in coordination with the country program.
- Supporting Program Quality and Implementation:
- Proactively raise programmatic issues for direct program action and advocacy, bringing about wider policy and practice change
- Proactively ensure that gender equity, quality and accountability issues are integrated and promoted in all aspects of Oxfam’s work,
- Work with technical leads and PM(s) to ensure partnership principles are understood/applied and that clear MoUs for partner organizations are in place;
- Oversee the preparation of high quality and timely reports on Program activities for internal and external use (including donor reports)
- Manage UNHAS helicopter bookings.
- Lead on procurement planning for the bases
Communicating Oxfam’s work:
- Represent and develop good relationships with authorities and other agencies, be proactive in ensuring that Oxfam develops and maintains a positive profile.
- Keep informed of relevant program issues and to contribute to wider program learning.
Qualification, Skills & Experience
Skills & Competencies:
- At least five years’ experience of managing complex emergencies in a variety of settings – particularly WASH, EFSL/livelihoods and Protection programming.
- Knowledge of Oxfam policies, procedures and systems highly recommended
- A proven record of effective and complex management including managing budgets, staff and funding of the program. This includes excellent people management skills, with a good understanding of team development and proven financial management skills.
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving and negotiation skills.
- The ability to remain calm whilst deal with conflicting priorities/work under pressure is essential to write clear, concise reports.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and policies and experience of promoting gender equity and diversity and the interests of marginalized people in all aspects of Oxfam’s work