UNICEF, Thimphu, Bhutan
Closing Date for Applications:
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
CO program planning and development
- Coordinate the planning and conduct of situation analysis by the program sectors in the CO to establish a comprehensive and current data and information for program development planning, management, monitoring and evaluation, including CPD, Delivering as One (Dao).
- Guide the various sectors throughout the process of program formulation, planning and preparation of the Country Program ensuring harmonization of approaches and alignment with the UNICEF Strategic Plan, corporate guidelines, policies/procedures and regional and national priorities. Provide technical and operational support throughout the process.
- Coordinate necessary technical programming support from PD/Regional Office.
- Review the Country Program recommendation before approval by the Representative to ensure the quality of the Country Program recommendation and alignment with the UNICEF Strategic plan, compliance with policies and procedures and that documentation materials are completed accurately and comprehensively to facilitate Executive Board review and approval.
Support to the Representative on managing the CO
- Serve as office in charge in the absence of the Representative.
- Monitor and assess programs and operations and provide advice on best and innovative programming and management practices to enhance programming and operations.
- Advise the Representative on CO annual work planning, setting priorities/targets and establishing performance measurements. Monitor implementation and progress of work plans; collaborate with colleagues to assist, advise and guide to ensure achievement of results according to targets and performance standards. Take timely decisions to achieve results and/or alert the Representative for timely action.
- Support Representative to undertake direct responsibility towards UN Delivery as One Country Programme.
- Establish clear performance objectives, goals and timelines; and provide timely guidance to his/her team to enable them to perform their duties responsibly and efficiently. Plan and ensure timely performance planning, management and assessment.
- Work collaboratively with the Representative and the various sectors to facilitate/contribute to the preparation of CO budget proposal. Monitor critical issues to resolve problems and/or recommend to the Representative appropriate action to ensure appropriate and optimum use of resources.
Monitoring and quality control of programs
- Participate in meetings/events and annual/mid term reviews with government and other counterparts/stakeholders to contribute to strategic program discussions, planning and assessments.
- Evaluate overall program progress; identify weaknesses, bottlenecks and potential problems. Collaborate with the sectors and/or other partners and stakeholders to resolve issues and/or advise the Representative on resolutions to ensure delivery of results as planned and allocated.
- Monitor the optimum and appropriate use of program resources (financial, human, administrative and other assets) and verify compliance with organizational rules, regulations and procedures, donor commitments and standards of accountability and integrity. Approve disbursements and allocations in accordance with delegation of authority established by the Representative.
- Coordinate and/or provide advice on the preparation of mandated program and operational reports. Confirm accuracy of reports prior to approval by the Representative.
- Deliver on Country resources mobilization strategy and have lead together programme Chiefs in donor proposal, management, liaise with PFP at HQ, Natcom and Regional Office for ensuring programmes are well supported corresponding funds.
Alliance building and UN System coordination
- Represent the UNICEF Representative in the UN Country Team (UNCT) to collaborate with RC and UN system partners to strengthen UN system interagency coherence, collaboration, cooperation and harmonization of programming, common services and operations. Ensure organizational position, interests and priorities are fully considered and integrated in the UNDAF development planning and agenda/priority setting.
- Collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues on UNDAF (One) country development planning of programs/projects.
- Build and strengthen strategic partnerships with government institutions, national stakeholders and global partners/allies/donors/academia to advocate UNICEF goals to advance child's right to survival, development and well being, mobilize resources, seek cooperation and establish alliances.
Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Advise the Representative and other internal colleagues in the CO on the development and implementation of policies and procedures, use of latest information technology and introduction of innovation and best practices in the CO to ensure optimum efficiency and efficacy in programming and operations.
- Coordinate the collection, institutionalization and sharing of lessons learned to enhance performance and to use lessons learned in development/policy planning.
- Promote learning and development through planning and organization of training events, activities and other capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies/productivity of staff members.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- An Advanced University Degree in social sciences, international relations, government and public relations, public or social policy, sociology, social or community development or other related fields, is required.
- A minimum of 8 years of professional development experience that combines technical and managerial leadership in development cooperation at the international level, some of which served in a developing countries is required.
- Relevant professional experience in any UN system agency or organization is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset.
How To Apply:
- If you are Interested kindly use the following link to apply: http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=496495