Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships: The position is located in the United Nations Resident Coordination Office (RCO) in Islamabad, Pakistan and reports to the UN Resident Coordinator (RC).
Responsibilities: Within delegated authority, the Development Coordination Officer, Strategic Planning and RCO Team Leader will be responsible of the following duties:
Duties and Responsibilities:
Summary of Functions:
- Provides strategic guidance to the RC and UN Country Team (UNCT) on effective, quality and timely UN support for the implementation of the 2030 Agenda through the Common Country Analysis (CCA) and UN Sustainable Development Framework/One Programme III (2018-2022)) including development of new UNDAFs/One Programme
- Initiates and coordinates external partnerships and joint resource mobilization efforts for the new generation UNDAF/One Programme.
- Coordinates the Business Operations Strategy and contributes to business innovations
- Manages knowledge management and capacity development activities in and outside the UN System
- Leads overall management of the RCO to ensure efficient and effective substantive coordination support to the RC/UNCT and adherence to organizational policies and procedures
Description of Functions:
Provides strategic guidance to the RC and UNCT of effective, quality and timely UN support for the implementation of the 2030 Agenda through a new generation CCA/UNDAF:
- Provides substantive support to the RC/UNCT in articulating and actively communicating a credible and convincing strategic vision for the UN, articulated through the UNDAF/One Programme, which is consistent with national development goals and priorities, UN values, aligned with the 2030 Agenda and committed to the principles of universality, equality and leaving no one behind;
- Prepares strategic inputs and develops draft recommendations to facilitate decision-making by the RC/UNCT in relation to repositioning of the UN System in country, especially related to the Standard Operating Procedures for Delivering as One;
- Drafts policy recommendations to the RC/UNCT on the development, implementation, monitoring, reporting and evaluation of the new generation CCA/UNDAF/One Programme as the primary instrument for the planning and implementation of UN development activities in country;
- Provides guidance to the RC/UNCT in asserting vision and accountability for the UN to operate as a nimble, innovative and enterprising development partner, demonstrating characteristics of a knowledge-based organization and thought leader;
- Leads the strategic design of UN’s policy and programmatic services, operational capabilities, and partnership mechanisms;
- Facilitates close engagement across the humanitarian, development and peace domains, as required by the country context;
- Leads the identification, analysis and prioritization of joint programmatic work of UN entities in response to national priorities and in line with the UNDAF/One Programme and the 2030 Agenda, based on analysis carried out by the Sustainable Development Policy Advisor;
- Coordinates the UNDAF/One Programme and Joint Workplans; facilitates UNDAF/One Programme Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) and reporting through UNinfo; organizes preparation and provision of the annual One UN Country Results Report to the Government and other stakeholders;
- Facilitates the engagement of all agencies – resident and non-resident - and other relevant UN entities, including at Headquarters and at the (sub-)regional level in inter-agency fora and in discussions with external partners;
- Facilitates coherence in the different intra-agency coordination bodies, including with Humanitarian Country Teams and the Security Management Team.
Initiates and coordinates external partnerships and joint resource mobilization efforts for the new generation UNDAF/One Programme:
- Initiates and coordinates effective working relationships with national and international public and private partners to facilitate knowledge sharing in support of CCA/UNDAF/One Programme development, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation;
- Provides substantive support for positioning the UN as a key provider of integrated services and as a platform in support of the SDGs in consultation with a broad range of stakeholders;
- In close collaboration with the Development Partnerships Officer, leads or participates in the formulation and implementation of the UN Partnership Strategy as well as the Resource Mobilization Strategy, and other initiatives in support of SDG achievement through the UNDAF/One Programme;
- Leads or contributes to the design, formulation, implementation, monitoring and reporting of joint programming processes amongst UN entities;
- Based on UNDAF/One Programme and joint programmes, facilitates and coordinates joint resource mobilization and partnering efforts at country level;
- Manages and monitors the implementation of the SDG Country Fund (where relevant) in support of the UNDAF and SDG acceleration;
- Contributes to strategic messaging and communication initiatives by RC/UNCT.
Coordinates the Business Operations Strategy and contributes to business innovations:
- In collaboration with the Operations Management Team (OMT), provides substantive support to the RC/UNCT on business innovations for the UN in country;
- Provides substantive inputs in formulating, implementing and monitoring the UN Country Business Operations Strategy;
- Assists the OMT in implementing common premises, and in establishing a common back office for location-dependent services;
- Facilitates a culture of continuous improvement and client-orientation in operational service delivery;
- Provides guidance on the establishment of common services arrangements to participating organizations/agencies at the country level.
Manages knowledge management and capacity development activities in- and outside the UN System:
- Facilitates the transfer of knowledge and effective communications across different UN and non-UN entities;
- Leads the sharing of best practices, trends, knowledge and lessons learned across the UN system and with external partners;
- Coordinates thematic activities and knowledge-sharing forums and encourages others to participate;
- Contributes to knowledge sharing (including through training and facilitating peer exchange) amongst UN staff on issues related to UN strategic planning frameworks, methodologies and tools;
- Monitors and analyzes UN experiences, lessons learned and knowledge networking to contribute to strategic planning processes.
Leads overall management of the RCO to ensure efficient and effective substantive coordination support to the RC/UNCT and adherence to organizational policies and procedures:
- Provides support for the formulation and implementation of the substantive work programme of the UNCT; allocates and monitors RCO resources for delivery of outputs and reporting on results;
- Manages the activities undertaken by the RCO, ensuring that programmed activities are carried out in a timely fashion;
- In close collaboration with UNDP, manages processes related to human and financial resource management, procurement, general administration, security, and information technology for the RCO;
- Manages, guides and trains staff under his/her supervision; facilitates teamwork and communications among staff in the RCO and across organizational boundaries;
- Promotes a work environment in the RC Office and across UN entities that is conducive to innovation and engagement with a diverse set of stakeholders and that delivers results in line with the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- Professionalism: Ability to apply sustainable development theories, concepts and approaches. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic resources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Creativity: Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Experience: A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in strategic planning, sustainable development policy, project/programme management, or resource mobilization in the context of development cooperation or related area is required.