OVERVIEW OF THE RESPONSE INNOVATION LAB (RIL):
The RIL is a global collaboration with the Founding partners of World Vision, Save the Children, Oxfam, George Washington University and Civic. There is a Global Collaboration Agreement between these organisations which details each of their responsibilities and has World Vision as the hosting the Global Response Innovation Lab Team (which is detailed in the organisational structure section). This is similar to a cluster in which the Response Innovation Lab Supports the entire humanitarian sector with its competency – innovation. The RIL works both at a global level (hosted by World Vision) and through in country programs Iraq RIL, Puerto Rico RIL, Jordan RIL, Somalia RIL, Uganda RIL (with more
opening) each of these are hosted by the founding partners in country but have a reporting line to the global RIL (similar to a cluster). The strategy of the RIL has a RIL country lab in every protracted crisis, failed state and rapid onset emergency – being larger and with broader reach than a cluster.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
We are looking for an experienced Innovations Labs Development Advisor to take responsibility for the fundraising and financial growth requirements of the Response Innovation Lab (RIL). The RIL is a global partnership that supports innovation in humanitarian contexts with programs based in the field. Our Founding Partners include World Vision, Save the Children, Oxfam, George Washington University and Civic. You will lead income generation for the RIL and be responsible for creating a sustainable income plan including oversight of marketing, communications and in-country fundraising.
To thrive as the Development Manager of the RIL you must be an experienced and enthusiastic resource investigator and relationship builder. The ideal candidate will have a proactive, collaborative, growth, mindset and will be able to see identify, pursue and secure income from a range of existing and potential income streams. You will take actions to enhance the company’s financial sustainability, use any appropriate team resources available and work within a high performing team to be able to deliver on the requirement for short, medium and long term funding for the work of the RIL which, in turn, supports real impact on the ground in humanitarian contexts.
Part of the success and strength of the Response Innovation Lab is that it is built on collaborative framework which includes some of the world’s leading NGOs, universities and think tanks. Beyond that, RIL has built a network consisting of many hundreds of organisations that support, and want to develop, the work. There is significant potential to develop these partnerships for co-created and mutual funding opportunities.
You will identify the most promising funding opportunities, whether that be from trusts & foundations, corporates, government or other philanthropic sources (including major donors/High Net Worth Individuals). You will build relationships within a wide variety of stakeholders and networks including RIL’s Founding NGOs and Partners, Grants Officers, corporate CSR leads and other individuals and agencies. The Development Manager will also be able to develop new strategic partnerships which will allow for new and innovative approaches for funding through for co-created and collaborative funding solutions.
- Ensure ongoing fundraising excellence, rigorous application pursuit and execution process and quality of submission.
- Build strong and trusted relationships with the fundraising teams who work for World Vision, Save the Children, Oxfam, George Washington University and Civic in all relevant countries.
- Oversee coordination of RIL field funding teams to ensure aligned funding communication, vision and message globally.
- Oversee all fundraising capacity, especially with respect to core capacity to ensure that activity is focused on achieving the desired results and are consistent with the overall strategy and mission.
- Build relevant capacity for fundraising across and within the team and lead, coach, develop and motivate subordinates to advance employee engagement and develop a high performing team.
- Enforce adherence to RIL guidelines and in-house policies to maintain the company’s legality, impact and ethics.
- Continue to grow the RILs Funding landscape including Foundations, Corporates, Governments and High Net Worth individuals, in the US, UK and elsewhere.
- Research and identify appropriate funders and develop, maintain and support pitches to relevant funders.
- Draft proposals and submissions for application, in conjunction with the executive team (RIL Director and Global Program Manager) ensuring that all monies sought can, and will, be used to deliver the outcomes and impact agreed.
- Support corporate and high net worth individual relationships that develop through our work, and via team members, that are valuable to the growth and development of RIL and including those that lead to fundraising opportunities.
- Support the RIL Director with any appropriate funding opportunity in other areas such as Founder NGO funding, Government agency funding and other areas as they emerge.
Strategic Partnership Development:
- Build on the formal and informal networks through new relationships and partnerships across communities, networks, and sectors internationally for the long-term sustainable funding success of the RIL.
- Identify funding opportunities that would suit a partnership approach and current partners that may be interested in funding opportunities.
- Draft and develop, in conjunction with the RIL Director, strategic partnership proposals that will attract funders and be successful in achieving additional funding for the important and innovative work of the RIL.
Communications, Marketing and Organizational Development:
- Working with RIL Director and Global Program Manager to build an archive of compelling stories and communication which provides useful information, engages stakeholder passions and interests and help the Case for Support for funders.
- Help to ensure that all compelling information collected from the field is used to best advantage in marketing and communication in order to support all funding activity. Encourage and support the creation of content that is credible, data-driven and robust material for marketing and funding applications.
- Represent the RIL through digital, visual, in person and other means to creating a stronger brand and reputation internationally and in humanitarian funding contexts.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Proven experience in raising large funds (500K-5M USD+) at a leadership level through trusts and foundations, corporate giving, governments and from individual and/or family office philanthropy.
- Experience in developing sustainable funding plans and strategies.
- Proactive, convincing, hardworking and ready to hit the ground running.
- Familiarity with supporting business functions such as marketing and communications.
- In-depth knowledge of the humanitarian sector.
- An entrepreneurial and innovative mindset with outstanding organizational and relationship building skills.
- Strong communications, ambassadorial, partnership engagement/ partnership brokering experience with the ability to engage and sell to a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people internationally particularly those in funding and fundraising roles, and across sectors (public, private, academic, government).
- Experience and passionate about fundraising for an organisation with principles of cooperation, diversity, inclusion, action-oriented, learning and evidence based.
- Passionate, positive, values and mission-driven, and self-directed.
- At least 6-8 years of leadership-level fundraising experience with at least 5 years spent on income generation for international development or related cause.
- Evidence in entrepreneurial and innovative fundraising in for humanitarian causes.
- In-depth knowledge of the fundraising sector, particularly trusts & foundations, corporates, governments and/or High Net Worth Individuals.
- Able to write concise, coherent and compelling copy for fundraising material and proposals.
- Fluent spoken and written English.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Experience: Experience of working for an NGO.
Work Environment/Travel: The position requires ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally up to 20% of the time.