Established in 2003, Malaria Consortium is one of the world’s leading non-profit organisations with a history of specialisation in the comprehensive prevention, control and treatment of malaria and other communicable diseases among vulnerable and under privileged populations. We increasingly find our work on malaria is being effectively integrated with other public health interventions for greater impact and sustainability and expanding our remit to include wider aspects of child health and maternal health, neglected tropical diseases, nutrition and health system effectiveness and efficiency.
We work predominantly in in Africa and Asia with communities, governments, academic institutions, and both local and international organisations, to ensure, through national and international policy development and tailored implementation support, effective delivery of services that are validated by strong evidence. In order to gain that evidence, Malaria Consortium engages in implementation research and monitoring and evaluation and disseminates our learning through consultancy, advocacy and technical papers and meetings
Our business areas include:
- Preventive Treatment
- Vector Control
- Case Management (Diagnosis and Treatment)
- Health system effectiveness and efficiency including surveillance as an intervention
Country and Project Background:
The organisation is going through a busy period of change and the Human Resources Department is looking to develop new initiatives that help the organisation on the delivery of its strategy. The Human Resources Generalist will join a team of 4 HR professionals based in the organisation’s London head office.
Development and Performance Specialist is responsible for the development and implementation of a learning and development strategy that supports development of the competences and capabilities of all staff with the view of strengthening work related performance and enhancing quality of work across the organisation.
Scope of work:
Responsible for managing delivery of the learning & development strategy and drive the improvement of performance across the organisation using the competency framework as the basis for staff development.
Learning & Development strategy 25%
- Working with the HRD Director, to develop & deliver a 3 year learning and development strategy for staff in the UK and overseas, ensuring alignment with the overall HR and organisational strategy
- Undertake training needs analysis of the organisation and individuals, based on organisational monitoring & evaluations, Probation Reviews and Annual performance and Development Reviews (APDRs) to develop annual learning and development plans and inform the learning and development strategy.
- Work with senior managers to stablish internal career paths and succession planning for key positions
- Play a full and active role as a member of the HR team, being involved in the department development of the annual plan.
- Working with GMG and country Directors to plan and track the learning & development budget for the organisation.
- Ensure all learning and development activities within the organisation are costed.
- Develop new learning and development initiatives (e.g. E and distance learning, coaching) Performance Management 35%
- Shape development of programmes for staff with high potential and build leadership development programme.
- Up skill and coach managers on HR best practice and policies and procedures
- Embed the competency framework on the performance management tools and support provided to managers and staff
- Lead on the training of staff on the Performance Management Policy and tools
- Support management on the handling of performance management cases including drafting actions plans
- Monitor the receipt of APDRs and Probation Reviews for UK and global employees and oversee the completion of performance reviews across the organisation.
- Carry out field visits as required Learning and Development delivery 40%
- Prepare internal, and course evaluation reports and longer term impact assessments, to ensure quality delivery, demonstrable outcomes, and that provision meets strategic requirements
- Facilitate selected training activities focussing on particular areas of professional expertise
- Recruit and select external specialists and consultants who are involved in the development and delivery of MC courses.
- Ensure that all learning and development administration is carried out effectively and efficiently ensuring a professional and responsive profile with attendees
- Maintain awareness of other learning and development provision in the sector and its linkages to MC learning and development programme and strategy.
- Communicate effectively with country offices and head office staff about learning and development opportunities and plans
- Support the Resourcing and Consultant Manager on the design and relevant updating of the induction process, ensuring that it appropriately equips new staff joining the organisation
- Ensure regular updating of the HR Learning and Development records and its use for the production of reports
Qualifications and Experience:
- Educated at degree level with full CIPD qualification or specialist training qualification
- Substantial experience of developing and implementing a learning & development strategy and plans
- Extensive experience of successful training design, delivery, and evaluation to meet organisational requirements
- Extensive experience of the evaluation of learning and development needs across a multi-site organisation
- Strong experience in HR project implementation in multi-site organisations of at least 200 employees
- Significant experience of working with employment laws and practices in countries where Malaria Consortium operates (in Europe, Africa and Asia)
- Experience of delivering coaching and training
- Proven experience of working at senior level for an International Non-Governmental Organisation (INGO)
- Experience of a flexible approach to managing and prioritising a high workload and multiple tasks in a fast paced environment with tight deadlines
- Experience of proactively identifying and addressing issues
- Good IT skills – MS Office, Outlook and Internet
- Demonstrable track record in supporting performance management cases
- Experience of working in networks and building strong working relationships
- Experience of working in overseas in development or relief
- Experience of managing an E-learning system
Work Based Skills and Competencies:
- Strong interpersonal, negotiating, influencing and consultative skills, with the ability to form strong internal and external working relationships and communicate effectively with a wide range of audiences within a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to use project management techniques to ensure that delivers to cost, time and quality
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, especially verbal presentation and high quality report/policy writing
- Broad knowledge and experience in international employment law in countries where Malaria Consortium operates
- Knowledge of organisational development, employee relations and training and development
- Fluent in English, with working knowledge of French and/or Portuguese
- Must have the right to work in the UK be considered for this post
- Willingness to travel to the countries where the organisations operates
- Knowledge of international health sector Human Resource management issues
- Proficient in French and/or Portuguese