Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships: The position is located in the United Nations Resident Coordination Office (RCO) in multiple countries and typically reports to the Senior Development Coordination Officer, Strategic Planning and RCO Team Leader.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Summary of Functions:
- Provides substantive support for the development and implementation of UN Country Team (UNCT) data and research strategies
- Develops and expands strategic research and data partnerships
- Coordinates monitoring and reporting of UNCT results
- Supports knowledge management and capacity development
Description of Functions:
Provides substantive support for the development and implementation of the UNCT data and research strategies
- Plans and facilitates the design and implementation of the UNCT’s data and research strategy in alignment with the Country Common Analysis (CCA) and UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF);
- Undertakes empirical analysis, data mining and visualization to assist the Resident Coordinator (RC) and UNCT, including results groups, in developing reports and working papers on a range of sustainable development topics;
- Collects information on the latest developments of the use of new types of data sources and tools (e.g. big data) for sustainable development;
- Provides substantive and analytical support to RC/UNCT in preparing and positioning the UN to accelerate the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in the country, including the drafting of reports, as well as analytical and position papers;
- Undertakes research and development of data and research UNCT tools and methodologies at the country level;
- Keeps abreast of emerging development issues to optimize UNCT analytical capacity to respond to national priorities;
- Contributes substantively to the development and implementation of peer review and quality assurance mechanisms for UNCT research products;
- Administers UNINFO and facilitates the development of the One UN Country Results Report.
Develops and expands strategic research and data partnerships, including with UN entities at regional and HQ level, government counterparts, research institutes, leading global thinkers on development, and civil society, among others.
- Supports the UN’s work with national data and statistical systems, facilitating engagement with national entities and data systems;
- Communicates and coordinates with existing partners and helps form new partnerships with UN agencies, academia, the private sector, and governmental agencies to further the use of data science for development;
- Communicates and coordinates with internal and external partners on data collection and project/research implementation;
- Supports the convening of key thinkers on sustainable development and 2030 Agenda to provide inputs for, advise and steer the UNCT’s research and data agenda;
- Assists in strengthening the UNCT’s partnerships with research institutions and similar entities across the UN system through concrete collaboration on areas of the 2030 agenda.
Coordinates monitoring and reporting of UNCT results under the UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF):
- Supports inter-agency efforts on results and progress monitoring and reporting on the UNDAF and Joint Programmes, particularly through UNINFO;
- Provides quality assurance review of the UNDAF monitoring and evaluation (M&E) framework and results reporting to country, regional and global levels;
- Facilitates independent evaluations of UNDAFs as a key element of the UNDAF cycle and other interagency work related to monitoring, evaluation and reporting;
- Serves as country focal point for country-level, regional and global M&E initiatives and networks.
Supports knowledge management and capacity development related to data and monitoring:
- Facilitates the sharing of best practices within the UNCT and with UNCTs in the (sub)region and globally, based on a solid understanding of the incentives that people need to utilize knowledge;
- Advocates for knowledge sharing, inspiring others within the RCO and UNCT to contribute their expertise through internal and external platforms and tools and working closely with colleagues at the regional level to ensure usable knowledge is shared between and applied by UNCTs.
- Identifies good practices and lessons learned at the different levels of the UN System (national, regional and global) and share findings with HQ, Regional and country colleagues so that best practices benefit UN’s work;
- Plans and facilitates the UNCT’s exchange of best practice, trends, knowledge and lessons learned with external partners;
- Organizes thematic activities and knowledge-sharing forums and encourages others to participate;
- Contributes to knowledge sharing (including through training and peer exchange) amongst UN staff on issues related to UN strategic planning frameworks, methodologies and tools;
- Draws upon other UN experiences, lessons learned and knowledge networking to provide contributions to strategic planning processes.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Education: Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in business or public administration, information management, statistics, sustainable development, social sciences, education or related area. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Experience: A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in providing strategic support to research and data analysis, knowledge management or project/programme management in the context of development cooperation or related area is required.
- Language: Fluency in one of the working languages of the UN Secretariat, English or French, is required; knowledge of the other is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.