United Nations Development Programme, Delhi, India
Closing Date for Applications:
Under the direct supervision of the Resident Representative with matrix reporting to the Regional Economic Advisor in BRH, the Development Economist will be primarily responsible for the following work streams:
- Provision of support to UNDP country office management, including to help strengthen programme development and implementation.
- Provision of technical policy advice to national government counterparts, especially in support of the 2030 Agenda and the introduction of sustainable and inclusive economic policies.
- Representation, advocacy, and partner engagement to support UNDP’s institutional positioning and advance its mandate.
- Contribution to UNDP’s work across the Asia-Pacific region, including collaboration with the regional economist network and analysis of priority regional thematic areas.
Provision of support to UNDP country office management, including to help strengthen programme development and implementation.
- Assist UNDP country office management with preparation and implementation of country programmes and strategies, including the Country Programme Document (CPD);
- Support UNDP country office teams to develop and manage relevant thematic portfolios, such as activities to support inclusive growth and progress towards the SDGs;
- Provide analysis and research in priority thematic areas at the country level, including through the publication of policy briefs or other analytical outputs;
- Compile and analyse statistical data as required in support of country strategies and activities.
- Collaborate across UNDP teams, especially to ensure linkages to the work emerging from the network of acceleration labs;
- Support the creation of large-scale development solutions to help address complex development challenges.
Provision of technical advice to national government counterparts and other partners, especially in support of the 2030 Agenda and the introduction of sustainable and inclusive economic policies.
- Support and facilitate dialogue on sustainable development issues with government officials, development partners, civil society, and the private sector;
- Provide policy and programming advice and support for development planning and policy formulation at the national, sub-national and local levels;
- Support the identification and analysis of interventions that can impact multiple development goals and targets at the same time;
- Support monitoring and reporting of progress related to SDGs and other national development frameworks.
Representation, advocacy, and partner engagement to support UNDP’s institutional positioning and advance its mandate.
- Develop and/or strengthen partnerships with UN agencies, IFIs, bilateral development agencies, private sector entities, and civil society;
- Represent UNDP country office in relevant forums, conferences, or workshops, including to present research or programmatic results;
- Support UNDP resource mobilization and future growth strategies through project pipeline development and design of large-scale programme and development solutions;
- Contribute to national, regional, and global knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Contribution to UNDP’s work across the Asia-Pacific region, including collaboration with the regional economist network and analysis of priority regional thematic areas.
- Participate actively in the UNDP Asia-Pacific regional network of economists, including through attending regional meetings (in-person and/or virtual), sharing relevant experiences, and conducting peer reviews;
- Substantively contribute as possible to UNDP regional knowledge products and development of programming offers in regional priority areas (e.g., inequality, future of work, innovative financing);
- Enhance UNDP’s understanding and design of new approaches to sustainable development across the region by acting as a regional thematic lead where possible.