Diffa Base Manager
Danish Refugee Council, Diffa, Niger
Closing Date for Applications:
- DRC has been operating in West Africa since 1998, and since 2014 in Niger, with a cross-border border management and security program in the Tillabéri region with the aim of reducing armed violence. Since 2015, DRC has been implementing humanitarian response projects (shelter and livelihoods), rapid response mechanism (MRR-shelters and BNA), protection-related monitoring and assistance projects in Diffa, and support for food security (general food distributions). Since 2018, DRC has added its MRR program and a humanitarian access and protection program to the Tillabéri program. In 2019, DRC started working in the Maradi region, with MRR and protection projects for refugees and displaced people.
- The Base Chief is responsible for the development, management and representation of DRC programs and operations throughout the Diffa Region. The position requires a high degree of responsibility and flexibility as well as a good understanding of complex security environments. He / she reports directly to the Country Director of DRC in Niger and is a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT).
The main responsibilities and expectations for this position are:
Management of human, material and human resources
- Taking part in strategic decisions t out by providing regular information flows with the coordination;
- Manage, with the Project Managers, the budgets of the projects implemented in the area;
- Manage people under his direct supervision (including their development, planning and performance);
- Provide overall supervision (through those responsible) of the program teams and ensure that they qualitatively and efficiently achieve the objectives of each project on time ;
- Ensure the overall supervision (through the responsible persons) of the support services (logistics, HR, admin, finance) ;
- V nsure that e bearer services reach their goals effectively , qualitatively e t that the deadlines are met ;
- Be the main person responsible for the implementation of appropriate and effective risk management for all activities (program and support) in the Diffa area;
- Was nsure that crews understand , respect and aien t ACCESS s with policies, procedures, guidelines, systems and practices in DRC .
Representation, coordination and reporting
- Represent DRC and attend all relevant forums and meetings in Diffa;
- Maintain relations with administrative authorities and other stakeholders in the Diffa region;
- Maintain close and beneficial working relationships with donors, national and international organizations and their local counterparts;
- Respect and apply internal reporting requirements, and contribute to external reports, as well as ensure quality control;
- Ensure constant, transparent and proactive communication with the hierarchy and the “ capital ” office .
Program development and implementation
- Coordinate and guide the adaptation of the DRC national strategy to the context and circumstances premises ;
- Provide a regular analysis of the context and the humanitarian situation and participate proactively in the development of project proposals, in full cooperation with the Head of Program Unit ;
- Ensure, through the Project Managers and with the support of the M&E function, that the projects progress according to the work plans and objectives set in the funding contracts of the donors.
- Providing regular analysis of the context and the security situation s in the area for the development of safety regulations, in full cooperation with the Safety Officer and Advisor Safety and Security;
- Ensuring a safe and secure environment for beneficiaries, staff and equipment DRC ensuring that local safety procedures are current and that the p standard operations rocedures are known, understood and respected by all ;
- Ensure that all staff in the region understand and adhere to the instructions ;
- Manage any security incident in the region in cooperation with the Country Director and the Safety and Security Advisor.
- Contribute to the strategy and management of DRC in Niger in collaboration with other members of the SMT ;
- Strengthen respect for standards and norms specific to DRC and the sector (CHS, SPHERE, etc.) ;
- Other tasks agreed with the Country Director.
- Academic level equivalent to a University Master in the field of humanitarian action, development, Project Management, Business Administration, in a relevant field in relation to the sector concerned or a Bioforce type training;
- Minimum 5 years of experience in management, supervision of multi-sector and multi-donor humanitarian and development programs in complex and unstable environments;
- Strong leadership and employee management skills;
- Significant experience and significant skills in logistics, financial management, human resources management and administration;
- Proven skills in managing external stakeholders (in particular authorities and local actors);
- In-depth knowledge and experience in applying the guidelines of major donors;
- Experience in managing security in a volatile area;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and excellent command of report writing .
Skills and qualities required
- In this position, you must demonstrate the five essential skills of the DRC, namely:
- Strive for excellence: you focus on achieving results while ensuring an efficient process. You strive to produce precise, thorough and professional work with optimal use of time and effort.
- Collaborate: You cooperate with and involve relevant parties, actively seeking their opinion and sharing key information with them. You support and trust others, while encouraging comments.
- Take the reins: You take responsibility and prioritize your work according to DRC's vision and overall goals. You take the initiative when faced with a challenge or an opportunity and you are looking for innovative solutions.
- Communicate: you write and speak effectively and honestly while adapting your style and tone to the situation. You actively listen to others and involve them in the dialogue.
- Demonstrate Integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC's values and code of conduct, including protection from sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment .
- Ability to work in a multicultural and cosmopolitan environment
- Proactivity, with a cooperative and collaborative approach
- Excellent communication skills (especially attention and patience) are required
- Good organizational skills are required
- Sense of exemplary ethics
- Ability to work in a team and good sense of humor