CRS's digital team builds, maintains, and optimizes CRS's flagship website (crs.org), and supporting microsites. CRS's web properties are essential to our two-part mission (promote human development by responding to major emergencies, fighting disease and poverty, and nurturing peaceful and just societies; and, serve Catholics in the US as they live their faith in solidarity with their brothers and sisters around the world).
We are seeking a highly experienced, full-stack developer who can assist with the front and end back end of our 30+ websites. These websites are mission-critical, helping nearly every division across the agency engage stakeholders and advance our goals.
A successful candidate will use understand the principals of PHP and OOP templating and frameworks such as Laravel or Symfony; MySQL and SQL Server; version control software like SVN, CVS, or Git; and be comfortable with CLI as well as basic principles of web and cloud-based architecture.
- Create/update pages and templates, configure Drupal modules/WordPress plugins, build new features, and integrate third-party tools as needed
- Ensure consistent quality by thoroughly running test scripts, conducting quality assurance (QA) testing, and participating in user acceptance testing (UAT)
- As needed for new microsite builds: Reviewing specs, wireframes, and mock-ups to catch potential issues before build phases begin
- Troubleshoot security issues for and maintain the performance of our suite of microsites
- Research options and make recommendations the team can implement to solve business problems and optimize our sites
- BA degree in a related field required
- Minimum of four years of work experience required. Preferably six or more years of progressively responsible work experience.
- 4 or more years of experience with JQuery and LAMP (Linux, MySQL, PHP) technology stack experience a plus
- 3 or more years of experience developing websites using Drupal and WordPress
- Fluency with Drupal 7.x; common Drupal modules; Views, Features, and Panels; and the core API (application program interface)
- Experience with Drupal 8 preferred
- Experience implementing responsive web design
- Experience with front-end debugging tools, and a strong understanding of rendering differences between browsers, devices, and operating systems
- Basic understanding of Agile project management
- Basic understanding of information architecture best practices
- Basic understanding of SEO best practices
- Basic understanding of performance optimization techniques
- Write code that you'll be proud of in the future
- Explore unfamiliar frameworks, technologies, and software packages with excitement
- Teach your colleagues what you know
- Show follow-through, efficiency, and attention to detail.
- Manage multiple projects with varying deadlines in a complex work environment
- Ensure projects are on time, on budget, and within scope
- Proactively seek out optimization opportunities and recommend ongoing improvements
- Communicate technical solutions to non-technical audiences
- Spanish speaking a plus
- Agency-wide Competencies (for All CRS Staff)
- These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Accountability & Stewardship
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Strategic Mindset
- Key Working Relationships
Internal: Creative services, communications, domestic outreach, charitable giving/fundraising, advocacy, overseas operations
External: Vendors and consultants as needed
Benefits of Working at CRS
Our generous benefits package includes medical, vision, and dental insurance; flexible spending accounts; short term disability; long term disability; maternity/paternity leave; basic life insurance/AD&D; supplemental life insurance; educational assistance; adoption assistance; employee assistance program; 403b retirement plan; and on-site gym. We also have a generous leave program, including 12 paid holidays, 15 vacation days, 12 sick days, and 4 personal business days per year.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
All candidates must be eligible to work in the US at the time of application.
Internal applicants are encouraged to apply within the first 10 days of posting.