Director of Advocacy and Media
Norwegian Refugee Council, Oslo, Norway
Closing Date for Applications:
Together with field-based programmes and expert deployments, advocacy is one of the Norwegian Refugee Council's (NRC) three pillars of work. We promote and defend the rights and dignity of people affected by displacement, amplify their voices and ensure that responses are appropriate to needs and rights. We use all the tools in the toolbox, including both private and public advocacy.
As Director of Advocacy and Media you will lead the Advocacy and Media Section in Oslo, a team of experienced advocacy and media professionals, and guide and support NRC’s advocacy and media work across the more than 30 countries where we operate.
The Advocacy and Media Section is part of the Partnerships and Policy Department (PnP), which is responsible for NRC’s:
- strategic relations with institutional donors
- advocacy and media work
- humanitarian policy
Duties and responsibilities
- Provide leadership and strategic direction to NRC’s advocacy and media work in close cooperation with Director PnP.
- Advise on, coordinate and develop global advocacy initiatives, including the effective use of media for influence.
- Ensure high media profile for NRC’s work and advocacy messages.
- Guide processes that embed evidence- and rights-based advocacy within NRC’s country programmes and build the related capacity of field teams.
- Develop, revise and disseminate relevant advocacy and media tools, including policies, strategies, procedures, guidelines and best practices. (In collaboration with the External Relations Department on tools related to media and communications).
- Establish and/or oversee quality assurance procedures for NRC advocacy and media products, including policy coherence and editorial process.
- Build strong, relevant networks, partnerships and strategic alliances through/with which NRC can contribute expertise and influence key stakeholders.
- Prepare for and manage NRC’s external crisis communication.
- Act as a spokesperson for the organisation when necessary.
- As a member of PnP’s management team, actively contribute to NRC’s PnP departmental strategy, management and leadership.
- Minimum of eight years of progressively responsible professional experience, including demonstrated management and leadership.
- Advanced professional knowledge and experience in global advocacy and media work.
- Relevant experience with media work, including strategy development and media engagement.
- Relevant experience with strategic planning and professional networking.
- Demonstrated skills in organisational representation and public speaking.
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent writing, editing and language skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- You possess a positive attitude, sound judgement and natural authority. You have the ability to mobilise resources around you through your communication, representation and interpersonal skills.
- You are a politically and diplomatically savvy professional with an inclination to analyse and perceive decision making processes, and you take pride in your ability to find the entry points. Furthermore you take a genuine interest of developing your employees. And a sense of humour always helps!