About the Organization:
Bridge partners with governments, donors, and parents to ensure that every child has access to an education that develops her full potential and creates the foundation for prosperity for the country. We are dedicated to supporting teachers, empowering school leaders, and ensuring every child has the learning support needed to master the national syllabus and have the confidence to succeed in a competitive world. Each of our project or country teams are supported through expertise and programming from additional offices around the world, combining world-leading expertise in core design areas with locally resident leadership and execution. We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to support and scale every aspect of quality education delivery. Bridge managed and supported schools are technology enabled and data driven to ensure accountability in the classroom for both teachers’ performance and children’s learning.
About the Role
As Director, Communications, you will be assisting in the management of the Bridge’s reputation and profile across all communications channels. You will be responsible for safeguarding the organization’s integrity and image; both internally and externally. You will report to the Vice President of Communications.
Our ideal candidate will have worked in communications in Africa or Asia. You will be responsible for developing platforms for critical stakeholder engagement and corporate communication content and will be well versed in media relations. You will be at the forefront of reputation management while building partnerships in the international education and development space.
You will be comfortable working in a campaigning organisation that is experiencing fast paced growth; and have direct or indirect experience of working with Government(s). You will be experienced in working in a global matrixed organization with colleagues across Africa and Asia.
What You Will Do
- Lead on media relations and reputation management.
- Lead on developing partnerships and build relationships with those in the international education space.
- Lead on ensuring internal alignment of messaging and positioning.
- Support the creation of a strategic direction for the department with oversight for internal & external communications .
- Support internal /external communication & engagement with stakeholders across the organization.
- Support the delivery of research reports, analysis and policy developments.
- Support on organisational positioning, messaging, and engagement.
- Crisis communications.
- Develop strong cross functional relationships and influence in all external facing departments / groups to ensure consistency of communication and information
- Represent the organisation in advocacy conversations and discussions.
- Line manage a small team.
What You Should Have
- Masters' degree with superior academic performance
- Experience of working at a senior international level for political, campaigning, non-profit, or social enterprise.
- A background of working in matrixed organisations with internationally based and remote working colleagues.
- Experience of developing or supporting an organisational speaker programme.
- Experience developing communications for a campaign or movement, rather than a product
- Experience developing and delivering comprehensive media strategies.
- Experience of developing engaging communications collateral that is visible and impactful.
- High profile crisis communications experience.
- Experience successfully developing and managing effective working relationships with internal and external senior stakeholders including journalists and broadcasters and editors.
- Experience of delivering effective stakeholder communications.
- Able to present in person, as an organization spokesperson, to large audiences in a highly engaging way;
- Highly developed verbal, written, and oral skills to promote and represent the organization;
- Experience of offering media advice and guidance to colleagues at a senior level;
- Experience building relationships and managing external partnerships.
- Excellent project management and organisational skills in a communications context;
- We particularly value experience in international fast paced growth or start up organizations.
- A background of working in matrixed organisations with internationally based and remote working colleagues from Africa or India.
- Ideally experience of working in Africa or India.
- Team management experience
- A robust, confident, can do attitude.
- A willingness and ability to travel to the communities we support.
- Fluency in a second language from a country in which we work such as Yoruba, Swahili, Igbo, Hausa, Hindu or Urdu is desirable.