Who we are
We are Population Services International (PSI) Uganda, a branch office of the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to be healthy by providing access to products and services that range from TRUST condoms, maama kits, contraceptives, and water purification products among others
There are over 7,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds - from the medical industry to the music business - all with unique skills we bring to the job.
We are looking for a Director of Financial Management and Operations to support implementation of the USAID/Uganda Voluntary Family Planning for improved Reproductive Health and Development (FP4HD) Activity.
Please note that this position is contingent on funding.
The Director of Financial Management and Operations will oversee financial management and operations for all FP4HD offices and activities in Uganda. This includes oversight of procurement, grants, logistics, human resources, accounting and finance, records, and ensures that adequate and appropriate internal controls are in place in compliance with USAID policies and procedures, to meet generally recognized accounting standards. S/he will be responsible for managing the budget and preparing financial reports for submission to USAID. S/he will ensure funds expended are compliant with USG regulations and policies. She/he will implement fraud mitigation practices and ensure systems and processes are implemented effectively to support implementation of the award. S/he shall have the requisite management expertise, interpersonal skills and professional relationships and fulfill the requirements detailed below:
- Financial reporting: initiate, develop and monitor implementation of financial reporting guidelines for decision making in line with donor regulations, PSI global standards, and local law;
- Develop and implement an overall internal controls framework for monitoring the efficient and effective utilization of funds and all project assets, in line with the Assets Management Policies and PSI Finance Manual;
- Budgeting: initiate and monitor the preparation of annual operating and project budgets in accordance with donor requirements and PSI Finance Manual;
- Audits and Compliance:
- Manage all internal and external audits, including the provision of audit samples and preparation of management comments on audit reports
- Follow up on action plans to ensure remediation of audit findings
- In collaboration with PSI legal counsel, minimize legal risks to the organization and address any legal issues that arise
- Ensure timely submission of statutory financial reports including tax returns
- Ensure that accounting operations and financial reporting comply with PSI global finance policy, funder regulations, and local law.
- Initiate, develop, and document financial and administration policies and guidelines for monitoring the implementation of the programs and activities in accordance with PSI Finance Manual;
What would get us excited?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
- Collaboration: You can work independently, but thrive within a team.
- Trust: You trust that your manager and team will have your back and care deeply about gaining that same trust from your teammates
- Pragmatism: You dive in and maintain momentum even when things are ambiguous and you don’t let perfect get in the way of good enough.
- Honesty: You aren’t afraid to speak up and speak your mind.
- Measurement: You set clear and challenging goals and hold yourself accountable to driving measurable results.
- Commitment: You’re independent and a free thinker, but you’re ready to buy in to the direction of the team and commit to its success.
Required Qualification/ Experience:
- A minimum of 10 years in accounting, business administration, or related field.
- Preference will be given to professionals with membership of ACCA, CPA(U) and CMA
- A Master’s Degree in relevant field with 10 years of experience in managing, increasing roles of responsibility and extensive professional experience in finance, procurement, contracts management, logistics and/or human resource related matters for international development activities of similar scope and size of the FP4HD Activity; with a minimum of 5 years of senior leadership responsibility for managing administration and finance aspects of USG funded projects / programs.
Required Personal Competencies:
- Demonstrated supervisory experience with excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication, leadership and managerial skills;
- Familiarity with USG financial reporting and compliance requirements; in-depth knowledge and practical understanding of USG administrative, management and reporting of procedures and systems; experience overseeing finance and administration for a USG funded award is highly desirable;
- Experience in managing USG donor-funded procurement and subcontracts/grants of similar scope and size of the FP4HD Activity;
- Proven track record of implementing fraud mitigation practices;
- Experience with finance management, accounting and auditing, procurement and establishment of internal controls; including monitoring of grant compliance and management preferred;
- Experience with strategic program planning, annual work planning and budgeting;
- Experience managing successful teams working in multiple locations;
- Proficiency in MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint and accounting software;
- Professional proficiency in spoken and written English required; and
- Excellent past performance references