Director, Health Systems Development
World Health Organisation, New Delhi, India
Closing Date for Applications:
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
To support and collaborate with the Member States for further development and implementation of national policies and strategies which ensure equitable and universal access to quality health care through advancing health systems development and strengthening health services.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the overall supervision and policy guidance of the Regional Director (RD), and under the direct supervision of the Director, Programme Management (DPM), the incumbent is responsible to lead work under the RD's Strategic Direction "Advancing universal health coverage and robust health systems”.
- As pre-eminent public health expert, directing, coordinating, monitoring and evaluating collaborative programmes with the Member States in the Region under the domain of Health Systems and Health Services Development taking into account the WHO core functions, priorities and country health needs.
- Direct and guide technical teams in harmonizing the work of other departments / technical units in SEARO, WCOs, HQ, national authorities, other UN agencies, various donors, private sector and civil societies.
- Promoting and assuring intra and inter-departmental teamwork including the WHO Collaborating Centers and Centers of Excellence.
- Ensure effective management of human and financial resources for programmes under his/her direct supervision.
- Supporting DPM and RD as part of technical Secretariat for the WHO Governing Bodies (WHA/EB/RC) and other important high-level meetings.
- Acting as RD, DPM or other Department Directors during their absence when so designated by the RD.
- Performing any other duties as deemed necessary.
- Essential: Degree in medicine or in health-related areas or related disciplines with Post graduate degree in public health or health-related areas
- Desirable: Doctoral degree in health-related areas will be an asset
- Essential: At least 15 years of experience at progressively responsible levels, including considerable experience obtained in an international context, in the development, planning and management of public health programs and/or health systems development activities
- Desirable: Experience and expertise in public health. Previous work experience in public health in a multicultural environment or a UN/multilateral organization will be an advantage.
- Thorough knowledge of WHO values, goals, policies, rules and regulations.
- In-depth knowledge of public health issues and health systems in the area of health systems development.
- High-level technical and management competence with knowledge of planning, directing, monitoring and evaluating health and health related programmes pertaining to the areas of work.
- Ability to exercise sound professional judgment.
- Leadership and supervision ability to foster team spirit and team work.
- Capability in programme planning, development, implementation, logistics, and/or monitoring and evaluation.
- Good computer literacy
Other Skills (e.g. IT): Proficient in MS Office Software applications, data analysis and technical presentations.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
- Driving the Organization's Position in Health Leadership
- Creating an empowering and motivating environment
Use of Language Skills
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English.