We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Director of Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (hereafter, “MEL Director”) for an education project. This position will be based in Cairo, Egypt and is contingent upon award.
This project aims to support the Government of Egypt in strengthening teacher excellence at the primary level through the design and adoption of an effective in-service continuous professional development (CPD) system aimed at enhancing educator knowledge and skills, particularly as they relate to effective curricula delivery. The project will also support the institutionalization of a professional development certification and incentive structure that recruits qualified candidates and promotes professional growth among educators and school leaders, enabling the in-service program to support overall teacher excellence.
The MEL Director will oversee the monitoring, evaluation, and learning components of the project.
S/he leads the development and management of the MEL Plan. The MEL Director develops and maintains systems to collect data and leads analysis to produce information on inputs, outputs, outcomes, and impact of the project. S/he collaborates with and oversees sub-grantees to provide feedback on data collection and indicators; analyzes data reported from sub-grantees; and supports training of M&E personnel in quality assurance methods. S/he collaborates with the project team to design operations research (OR) to support learning, evaluation, and planning, and oversees the implementation of OR projects as well as analysis, dissemination, and use. She/he shares MEL data and improvement plans as well as strategies for implementation improvements for greater project impact with the project team.
- Designs and oversees the monitoring, evaluation, and learning activities of the project and liaises and coordinates with third-party evaluation teams;
- Leads the design, development, planning, and implementation of assessments and project evaluation activities. This includes development and dissemination of tools, materials, reports, papers, and intervention-linked research;
- Develops strategies and tools for the design and implementation of monitoring of specific technical components;
- Works closely with project heads to co-design monitoring tools, select indicators, and determine field monitoring responsibilities. Works to ensure tool compatibility and coordination within the M&E framework as well as consistency with national and donor requirements;
- Responsible for providing technical assistance, developing and setting up systems for the timely collection, management, analysis, and reporting of valid and reliable data that meet donor reporting requirements;
- Focus on strengthening the M&E system, building capacity of partners and staff, and improving alignment and support to host-country M&E systems;
- Develops and leads the implementation of a robust learning agenda for continuous learning, collaboration, and adaptation;
- Undertakes periodic reviews of project and/or country M&E systems and plans and implements M&E system strengthening actions. Provides guidance on information systems for quality assurance, as well as best practices documentation and reporting; and
- Oversees the publication and dissemination of information on successful and promising approaches, lessons learned, and other project results to project partners, donors, Government of Egypt counterparts, and other key stakeholders.
- Master’s degree or its International Equivalent required in monitoring and evaluation, education, demography, social science, economics, or relevant discipline;
- At least 10 years of experience related to monitoring, evaluating, and reporting on Egypt- or MENA-based projects related to education;
- Experience in the design and implementation of M&E systems for USG-funded projects, (particularly USAID), preferably in Egypt;
- Strong understanding of education data and education indicators;
- Strong analytical skills and ability to articulate technical information clearly and effectively to both technical and non-technical audiences;
- Excellent report writing, analytical, and communication skills, including oral presentation skills;
- Mastery of the design and implementation of qualitative and quantitative data collection methodologies; experience with complexity-aware monitoring and adaptive management models is desired;
- Computer skills, including MS Office, Access and Excel, and mobile/internet data collection software (ODK, Kobo, Survey Monkey and others);
- Experience supervising and mentoring staff;
- Must have demonstrated ability to work in complex environments, work across different cultures, and manage and coordinate with diverse staff to deliver impact within agreed timelines;
- Fluency in English required. Arabic preferred.