The Director, Monitoring and Evaluation provides guidance and strategic direction in monitoring, evaluation, research and learning (hereby ‘MEL’), and contributes to performance improvement of the USAID Medicines, Technologies and Pharmaceutical Services (MTaPS) Program. In day-to-day work, s/he focuses on the development and implementation of a comprehensive set of activities to ensure effective monitoring and evaluation of MTaPS, oversee knowledge management, reporting and learning as well as effective data use in managing the program.
S/he oversees country teams in their M&E activities and contributes to and participates actively in the development and implementation of project-wide strategies in fulfillment of the program’s mandates. S/he will also participate in project management and performance improvement by providing timely monitoring and evaluation data, tailored reports, and strategic inputs for the management of the program.
This position will be located in Arlington, VA.
- Provide technical leadership and assistance across MTaPS, including supervision of the MEL team, to promote the quality of M&E that includes the learning and research agenda, and performance improvement.
- Lead development and execution of MTaPS’ comprehensive Monitoring and Evaluation Framework and Plan.
- Lead development of project management database to ensure timely, transparent, and accurate capture of project implementation data.
- Liaise with client and stakeholders to promote knowledge of M&E methodologies including appropriate, output, outcome and impact indicators.
- Promote linkages to enable country offices and staff to learn from one another, discuss common M&E challenges, seek/offer assistance, and share best practices.
- Coordinate the knowledge management and learning activities to support effective and compliant reporting of results and lessons learned and dissemination of programmatic impacts and knowledge products.
- Meet and communicate regularly with the project staff to discuss the status of ongoing MEL work and provide briefings on new developments, coaching and technical support. Provide direct technical assistance in MEL as required, including the design and implementation of assessments and evaluations.
- Contribute to the preparation of technical reports and communications products to reflect monitoring and evaluation results.
- Contribute to the development of strategies and multi-year and annual project work plans to identify and meet the technical needs of MTaPS activities in M&E and knowledge management.
- Oversee, updates and manages resources for the MTaPS M&E system.
- Build project and country office staff capacity to understand, design, and implement evaluations and research.
- Advise M&E network and regional M&E Advisors on all aspects related to contract and project performance management and M&E systems implementation.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Typically requires 10+ years of project management experience within a relevant area
- Sound expertise in M&E, especially for large scale projects in multiple countries with a health system strengthening component. Demonstrated experience in areas related to pharmaceutical management highly preferred.
- Master’s Degree or its international equivalent – Pharmacy, Public Health, Supply Chain Management and Logistics, Statistics, Epidemiology, Social Sciences, International Development, Human Development or Related Field. Doctoral degree preferred. Education in medicine or pharmaceutical sciences is an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse teams in developing country locations and to produce results within specific time frames while meeting deadlines. Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills. Proven successful experience working in a headquarter environment.
- Extensive experience in the use of mixed measurement methods required for monitoring and evaluation of public health programs with a health system strengthening component.
- Fluency in French preferred.
- Proven track record of successful working relationships with USAID.
- Highly developed English-language writing and presentation skills.
- Experience using statistical software packages such as EpiInfo, SAS, SPSS, or Stata for data analysis and modeling.
- Strong scientific and technical writing skills.
Travel Requirements: Ability to travel internationally up to 25% of time.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift 5-50 lbs.