Director of Monitoring, Evaluation, Research & Learning
Winrock International, Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh
Closing Date for Applications:
The MERL Director will be responsible for developing and overseeing all aspects of an upcoming project’s Performance Monitoring and Evaluation Plan (PMEP), including the coordination of project evaluations, research studies and assessments and managing the MERL team for a high-quality, results-oriented project focused on improving quality of education for children and youth.
The position is contingent upon receipt of donor funding.
The Director of MERL will oversee the implementation of the program’s M&E, research and learning activities and data reporting requirements. S/he will also serve as the MERL liaison and point of contact with USAID or USDA and any external evaluation or research contractors throughout the life of the project. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage a rigorous approach to monitoring and evaluation, including mobile and web-based technologies using GIS, and systems for monitoring performance toward specific goals and objectives;
- Design and implement a PMEP in coordination with USAID, including selection and tracking of specific indicators, developing strategies for data collection and regular reporting on approved indicators through quarterly and annual reporting;
- Set up M&E database systems using appropriate technologies to support beneficiary;
- Design data collection instruments, schedules, analysis methods, and applied technologies;
- Establish and implement data quality monitoring system and ensure data quality across the dimensions of validity, reliability, timeliness, precision and integrity;
- Monitor the results of the program’s activities and contribute to periodic evaluations/assessments;
- Provide expertise on the use of evidence for learning and adaptation;
- Provide expertise on incorporating geospatial methods into data collection, monitoring systems, research design and other aspects of MERL;
- Oversee project research studies and assessments, coordinating with partners and external contractors when necessary; contribute to research design and methodology for project-related research; contribute to the analysis and dissemination of results to internal and external audiences. Project research may include baseline, midline and endline studies for cohorts of beneficiary schools and/or communities, potentially including assessments of reading, math and/or social and emotional learning skills;
- Build capacity of local education officials in M&E and facilitate participation in student assessments;
- Lead MERL team, supervising MERL staff and externally represent the team as required;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Education: PhD or Ed.D. preferred or Master’s level degree with requisite monitoring, evaluation and research experience, in education, social sciences, such as statistics, public policy, economics or a related field, and/or specialized training/certification in monitoring & evaluation.
- At least seven years of progressively responsible experience in the monitoring & evaluation of donor-funded international development projects; at least three of which were at a manager level. Part of this experience should have been obtained working on education programs;
- Knowledge of USG reporting requirements, including experience designing and implementing Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Plans, rigorous impact evaluation design, and working with external consultants for third party evaluations;
- Previous experience conducting impact evaluation studies and developing research methodologies strongly preferred;
- Previous experience with incorporating GIS into data collection, analysis and design;
- Understanding of national level MIS approaches and existing government databases/data collection in education statistics preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skill in English is required;
- Proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet (preferably Microsoft Access and Excel), and presentation software (Microsoft PowerPoint);
- Proficiency with database and statistical applications such as DevResults, SPSS, SAS or STATA.