Who we are
With over 45 years of experience, working in over 60 countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world's leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
There are over 8,000 “PSI'ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
A Director of Programs is sought to lead PSI Mozambique's portfolio of activities related to family planning, sexual and reproductive health, and HIV/AIDS. The Director will heavily focus on the management of program activities, health services, and external relations and partnerships, and provide technical assistance.
With support from the government of Mozambique and international donors such as the Embassy of the Netherlands, DFID, USAID and UNFPA and various private foundations, PSI has worked in Mozambique for more than 20 years. Since 1994, we have implemented social marketing, social franchising and behavior change communication to deliver prevention and treatment products and services across a wide range of health areas including HIV/AIDS, family planning, malaria, and water-borne diseases.
This position will be based in Maputo, Mozambique, reporting to the Country Representative, with an estimated start date of March 2018.
This position is contingent on funding.
Sound like you? Read on.
- Program Management
- Oversee the growth strategy and implementation of PSI/Mozambique's project portfolio, currently comprised of:
- A growing a network of SRH services delivery channels, with a specific focus on expanding quality health services and cost efficiency.
- A network of community health promoters and adolescent peer educators who are dedicated towards building community knowledge and information, as well as, linking individuals to health services via a mobile platform.
- Provide overall oversight of the project and maintain effective and regular communication with donors, implementing partners, and government entities.
- Oversee the submission of high-quality periodic reporting in line with donor and PSI requirements (Quarterly and Annual Status reports, quarterly financial reports, forecasting etc…)
- Ensure health impact is achieved and donor deliverables are met within the project timeframe and budget
- Lead internal and external program planning and reporting including annual work planning with technical and implementing partners, including capacity building and technical assistance.
- Oversee the development of synthesizing and disseminating lessons learned from projects between implementing partners
- Ensure sound financial management including programmatic budgeting, spending projections and monitoring of payments
- Expand, monitor and identify opportunities for increased impact, improved efficiency and cost effectiveness and ensure best value for money
- Ensure the effective use and coordination of donor resources and the compliance of financial systems and controls with relevant donor standards
- Build capacity of country team to effectively manage and carry forward implementation
External Relations & Partnerships
- Serve as main point of contact and representative of programs listed above and be primary project liaison between donor, project partners and stakeholders
- Develop and maintain strong external relations, in particular with government, donors, and public and private sector partners
- Participate in local technical work groups, including, but not limited to, family planning
- Deliver recommendations on technical assistance and systems strengthening that could be applied to enhance the effectiveness and sustainability PSI/Mozambique's programs
- Monitor programs' results and ensure programs provide high quality technical services, meets annual targets and maximize positive outcomes
- Provide technical oversight and strategic direction for program implementation and development
- Support the Country Representative and other staff in strategic planning and overall institutional development.
- Master's degree in relevant field (MBA, MSW, MPH) or equivalent experience
- Technical expertise in the area of HIV, reproductive health, maternal and/or child health preferred
- At least 10 years demonstrated staff management and project oversight experience
- Familiarity with international health, development issues and the international donor community
- Experience developing and managing budgets
- Ability to work effectively in partnership with a variety of audiences and organizations
- Excellent writing, presentation and interpersonal communication skills preferred
- Experience managing, implementing, and evaluating large complex projects involving the collection, analysis and presentation of health and population data that covers the full range of technical, field and administrative skills required for successful implementation of HIV, reproductive health, maternal and/or child health programs
- Works well independently and in teams
- Excellent quantitative and qualitative skills
- Well organized, strong attention to detail, and ability to multitask
- Fluency or strong working knowledge of oral and written Portuguese and English
- Availability to travel within Mozambique.