We are over 600 strong worldwide. We believe in our mission to end violent conflict. It’s our purpose- our call to action. A Searcher understands our vision of a world where: Differences stimulate social progress, rather than precipitate violence
Respect for and cooperation with those we disagree with is considered the norm A Searcher is a dedicated, enthusiastic and passionate individual, committed to our values. Shared Humanity. Empathy. Impartiality. Inclusivity. Courage. Hope. Humility. Audacity.
With headquarters in Washington, DC and Brussels, Belgium, we implement projects from 55 offices in 34 countries, including in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and the United States. You will be joining other highly motivated Searchers with a good team spirit and through commitment and dedication, have opportunities to grow.
In Myanmar, Search's approach is to support locally led processes at different levels of society in order to transform local level conflict. Search Myanmar has been supporting the peace process at the local level, supporting social cohesion nationwide, and supporting skills building in transformation with a multitude of stakeholders, including government, the private sector, the media, and civil society including women, youth and minorities. Search Myanmar works with local partners across seven states and three regions.
Search Myanmar is at an exciting stage and is reaching a new level of growth, scaling up its programmatic work, team, office and operations to support its strategy in country to support Myanmar in its priorities of peace, development and democratic change.
We are searching for
A Director of Programs who will work closely with the Country Director and lead the implementation of multi-pronged peacebuilding program and media projects, grants management, and ensure robust donor and financial compliance, measure and capture results, manage collaboration with partners, and ensure the application of best practices of the peacebuilding field. S/he will serve on the Leadership Management Team of Search Myanmar.
The roles and responsibilities include:
- Manage implementation of Search’s multi-pronged programs portfolio including sub-awards to partner organizations.
- Ensure excellent program cycle management of complex projects including overseeing project start-up and close out, development and execution of detailed work plans, financial planning, budget management, and monitoring.
- Working closely with the finance department ensure high level of financial and operational compliance, ensuring value for money.
- Ensure high-caliber program methodology across all areas of work.
- Ensure detailed and effective program planning, including developing and executing detailed work plans, budget projections, costed work plans.
- Oversee monitoring and evaluation work to effectively capture results and contribute to internal institutional learning/reflection and external dissemination.
- Support development of M&E framework for the Search Myanmar office ensuring that indicators are captured in line with the country strategy programming.
- Support the consolidation of reporting procedures and lead donor reporting.
- Develop and maintain excellent relationships with all stakeholders including government, donors, media, local civil society and partners to further Search’s mission in country.
- Train and lead a strong, healthy and inspired program team.
- Support professional development of staff and partners.
- Provide oversight and coordination of partners’ project implementation.
- Keep abreast of and navigate the conflict dynamics in country.
- Contribute to the development of Search’s country strategy in Myanmar and ensure Search’s programs are relevant.
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position-holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
You meet the following qualifications:
- MA/S or equivalent in social science, economics, peacebuilding, management, international development or other relevant field.
- 8 year of progressive experience managing grants and funds of which 5 years is in related work in an international development, preferably in conflict contexts
- Proven experience in project cycle management, including project start ups and close-downs.
- Financial management, including ensuring compliance, procurement, budget planning, financial reporting and audit management.
- Experience of managing European Union-funded projects, and multi-donor trust funds.
- Proven track record in successful proposal writing and program development.
- Strong leadership and management skills with good understanding of motivating and building cross-cultural teams.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and procedures, and able to meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- A high level of personal efficiency, and the ability to balance multiple urgent or important tasks without undue stress and to work in a fast paced environment.
- Solid knowledge of security protocols and experience and ability to work effectively in an insecure environment.
- A common grounder, able to build bridges across dividing lines.
- Experience in peacebuilding, conflict resolution, media and communications work.
- Experience working in Myanmar or Asia.
- Knowledge of Myanmar language.