The Director Special Projects will manage projects spanning all sectors (economic strengthening, civil society, education, emergency response, gender, health, nutrition. agriculture, climate change, etc.) that meets the country office's eligibility criteria for designation as 'special projects'. S/he shall support the Country Director to actively drive business development initiatives; attract, grow and retain businesses in these sectors.
As member of the FHI 360 Nigeria program management team and with guidance from the Country Director, the Director, Special Projects provides leadership, management, coordination, and technical expertise for the planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of all assigned FHI 360 Nigeria special projects and other initiatives.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Provide management support to special projects focusing on work plans, sub agreement amendments, periodic fund requests, review of MFRs/SFRs, and reporting.
- Coordinate the development and follow up implementation of work plans for the assigned projects
- Participate in meetings/events organized by FHI360 Nigeria’s donors, stakeholders and partners (relevant to assigned special projects and develop responses to all requests from them.
- Work with FHI360 Nigeria technical and finance departments to ensure adequate documentation, tracking and accurate reporting of targets and expenditures for each assigned grant/award.
- Manage the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of sub recipients’ program activities including work plans, implementation schedules, sub agreements and close out.
- Ensure appropriate monitoring of subprojects to achieve financial, contractual, and programmatic goals.
- Work with other departments to ensure documentation and easy retrieval of all training and trip reports related to the assigned portfolio
- Guide and support FHI360 Nigeria state teams in establishing sound management systems to ensure cohesive implementation of project activities.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of systems that effectively respond to donor requirements regarding implementation procedures, reporting and evaluation.
- Assist the Country Director as required to perform duties related to business case development, management of human resources including analysis of staffing needs and resources.
- Coordinate capacity development efforts in support of country and state offices and implementing agency staff, and other partners.
- Ensure availability of technical resources and integrate their efforts into overall program management.
- Assist in identifying, analyzing and disseminating best practices in the project through the identification of project learning sites and technical support to the national government.
- Liaise with multiple stakeholders and collaborators to share information, coordinate activities and avoid duplication in the implementation of the program.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Considerable experience in designing and implementing of public health/international development programs.
- Demonstrated management, supervision, networking and leadership skills working with large, complex programs.
- Demonstrated knowledge of strategic planning, administrative, and financial management systems.
- Diplomatic; demonstrated experience in undertaking high-level policy dialogue with different stakeholders.
- Knowledge of HIV/AIDS, TB, Health Systems, Economic Strengthening Education, Humanitarian, Agriculture, Nutrition, Civil Society, Gender, Climate Change and other development sectors as well as decentralization of services and related issues.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the political and ethical issues surrounding HIV/TB infection.
- Ability to manage projects, consultants, set realistic priorities, and plan for the successful implementation of programs.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants, and recipients of assistance.
- Demonstrated expertise in building effective relationship with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications such as MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to intervene with staff with diplomacy and firmness.
- Excellent interpersonal relationship with stakeholders and colleagues.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- BS/BA/BL in social science, statistics, mass communication, monitoring & evaluation, pharmacy, law, public health or related field, with a minimum of 11-13 years relevant experience with international development programs which includes 5 years of relevant supervisory experience.
- PHD or similar degree with 7-9 years relevant experience with international development programs which includes 5 years of relevant supervisory experience. OR
- MS/MA/LLM/MPH in social science, statistics, mass communication, monitoring & evaluation, pharmacy, law, public health or related field, and a minimum of 9-11 years relevant experience with international development programs which includes 5 years relevant supervisory experience. OR
- Familiarity with Nigerian public sector health systems, international donor organizations, NGOs and CBOs is required.
- Demonstrated success in multicultural environments is required.