IJM is the global leader in protecting the poor from violence in the developing world. Our global team of over 1,000 professionals are at work in over 25 offices. Together, we are catalyzing a global revolution that will rescue millions, protect half a billion, and make justice for the poor unstoppable. Motivated by God’s call to seek justice for the oppressed, we believe that the way we work is as important as the results we achieve. We are a global community that cares for one another. We value joy and celebration, and we strive to provide professional excellence to all those we serve.
After nearly two decades of continued growth and operational success in pioneering the work of protecting the poor from violence, IJM has become an $80 million organization with 1000 global employees. As IJM continues this trajectory of growth and scaling of its impact, the Global Vice President and Controller is seeking a director to lead the US Accounting and Operations team.
This position is based at IJM Headquarters in the Washington, DC area and reports to the Global Vice President & Controller.
- Manage all levels of US GAAP accounting, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and cash flow processes;
- Assist the Global Finance team with the annual external financial statement Audit;
- Responsible for the US tax reporting and assisting the Global Consolidation and reporting team in the process of completing the annual Tax Returns (Form 990 and 990T); evaluating and incorporating changes in IRS Form 990 Reporting Requirements;
- Lead the month-end and year-end close and reporting for the US Operations;
- Direct and collaborate with US and Global Finance team for creation and updates of Finance policies;
- Manage the process of onboarding IJM Expatriate Staffs and Third Country Nationals in terms of compensation which would include work with third party consultants to plan the calculation of their Tax Equalization and, Hypothetical Taxes and actual tax fillings;
- Develop process, source of data and measurements for benchmarking and collaborating with similar US based Not for Profit Organizations/NGOs;
- Review and authorize all wire transfers and check payments;
- Lead in providing solutions and in bridge-building between Finance and other departments;
- Use strong analytical and appropriate influence skills, to gain consensus as needed;
- Provide input into strategic planning and annual budgeting for infrastructure planning for the organization; and
- Work closely with the Global VP & Controller to ensure organizational decisions, actions and communications are in support of agreed upon goals, balancing strategic objectives with tactical execution to achieve results.
Financial Stewardship and Strategy for Growth
- Support the Global VP & Controller to direct, coordinate and administer accounting and financial operations to meet multi-functional organizational needs to enable successful collaboration and execution of the Mission;
- Evaluate current accounting practices and policies, drive continuous improvement, research and analyze accounting matters and positions; and
- Identify opportunities for finance process improvement and partner with others to achieve efficiencies.
- Responsible for hiring, training, coaching and assessing staff performance;
- Drive team activities ensuring process improvement and overall employee productivity;
- Actively engage with team on problems/conflict resolution, coaching, counseling and training and development; and
- Foster a culture of spiritual health and integrity by way of example
- Provide Christian discipleship and leadership.
- Minimum of 8-10 years' work experience, 4 years of which should have been with non-profit organizations, on general ledger accounting for an international, professional services firm, with multiple projects and demonstrated accounting and financial analysis experience;
- Active Certified Public Accountant License required;
- Analytical, detail oriented, lateral and linear thinker with sound professional judgment;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; oral and written presentation and communication skills;
- Adaptive, appropriately assertive, highly organized and autonomous;
- Proficient with Workday or similar ERP systems, Microsoft Office; ERP experience, integrating general ledger, budget, payroll, HCM, CRM, etc. a plus; and
- Superior knowledge of US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, International Financial Reporting Standards, and IRS regulations for 501(c)(3).