Discipline Director (Policy, Economics and Social Science)
WorldFish, Penang, Malaysia
Closing Date for Applications:
- Provide strategic leadership of the discipline across the full range of the Center’s activities, including cross-discipline and cross-CGIAR integration and co-ordination.
- Prioritize and nurture strategic science partnerships with leading universities and research institutes.
- Identify and anticipate future capacity needs in the discipline and initiate timely recruitment action and capacity strengthening efforts.
- Directly manage performance of senior science members of the Discipline to set and maintain high standards, and coach and mentor more junior members.
- Lead interdisciplinary teams, and partner with Regional Directors, to conceptualize and attract funding for both regionally-focused and global projects.
Essential skills and qualifications
- PhD in relevant discipline, combined with applied experience to provide technical guidance and leadership to teams in the discipline.
- At least 8 years research management experience, with demonstrated leadership capability and strong mentoring skills.
- Ability to identify, develop, fundraise for, and manage multi-partner and multi-disciplinary research projects.
- Strong publication track record in a relevant area (fisheries and aquaculture knowledge helpful but not required).
- Well-developed communication skills, including excellent command of written and spoken English.
- Experience living and working in developing countries.
Timeframe and location
- This position will be based at WorldFish Headquarters, with significant travel to countries in Asia, Africa and the Pacific.
- Interviews are expected to be held in Penang during the week of 5-9 October 2015.
- The successful candidate will be offered a regular 3-year staff contract, with possibility of extension depending on performance and funding.
- Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
- WorldFish is committed to promoting a work environment where diversity of thought, leadership style, culture and experience is valued.
- We support individual performance and potential in achieving our organizational goals and mission.
- Qualified women and professionals from developing countries are strongly encouraged to apply.