Diversity and Inclusion Internship
IFRC , Switzerland
2 years of relevant work experience
Closing Date for Applications:
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (“the Federation”) is the world’s largest volunteer-based humanitarian network. The IFRC Secretariat (“the IFRC”) is based in Geneva and has regional and country offices throughout the world. Under the leadership of the Secretary General, the IFRC provides the central capacity to serve, connect, and represent Red Cross / Red Crescent National Societies. The IFRC focus includes providing support with governance mechanisms; setting norms and standards; directing and coordinating international relief operations, resource mobilization, technical support including providing guidance; ensuring consistency, coordination, and accountability for performance; knowledge sharing; and expanding engagement with partners. The IFRC headquarters is organized in three main business groups: (i) Partnerships, including Movement and Membership, (ii) Programmes and Operations, and (iii) Management, each one of them led by an Under-Secretary General. The Management Division is organised in three Departments: Finance and Administration, Human Resources, and Information Technologies, each of them led by a Director. This internship position is located in the Human Resources Department and is situated within the Leadership Unit.
- Main purpose of this internship is to carry out guided research and support the implementation of Inclusion and Diversity interventions as well as to deliver of high-quality administrative services linked to communication, data and documentation.
Key tasks and responsibilities
- Review and record current IFRC Inclusion and Diversity initiatives related to the workforce.
- Discuss with Inclusion, Protection and Engagement colleagues ongoing Inclusion and Diversity work with National Societies and for Affected Populations, identifying linkages between programme and operational work that can be adapted for the workforce.
- Carry out benchmarking exercises with other organizations and National Societies on Inclusion and Diversity initiatives for the workforce, as directed.
- Suggest interventions as well as policy, procedural and system changes based on findings and as appropriate for the IFRC.
- Draft and prepare written documents related to Inclusion and Diversity for various purposes (e.g. communication, workplans, webpages and to National Societies).
- Explore the design of tools used to assess employee satisfaction, such as performance metrics or an exit survey, paying particular attention to different demographics and inclusion.
- Perform any other duties as requested.
- Recent college graduate, i.e., within one year at time of application, with at a minimum, a first level University Degree in Business Administration, Human Resources Management, Public Administration or Public Policy, or similar field from a recognized educational facility or academic institution.
- Knowledge of current developments and global trends in the fields of inclusion and diversity.
- Some practical knowledge of HR principles and/or business management.
- Previous experience in working with data, statistics and/or metrics would be an asset.
- Proficient computer skills, in particular with Excel, data and tracking systems.
- Discretion and excellent customer service.
- Fluent spoken and written English.
- Good command of another IFRC official language (French, Spanish or Arabic) is preferred.