Search’s mission is to transform the way the world deals with conflict, away from adversarial approaches, toward cooperative solutions. The challenging and long-term work involved in this mission requires the ability to appreciate and bridge differences in identity and power, creating new systems that are both equitable and inclusive. Today, in the wake of a global movement for racial justice, Search is looking inward, recognizing the importance of aligning our internal organizational culture with the mission and values we espouse in our work in communities around the world. www.sfcg.org
Search began the internal focus on DEI in 2019. The gender analysis of the 2019 Engagement Survey revealed global and regional disparities between how women and men experienced our organizational culture. While gender is a critical dimension of diversity, there are many other aspects of identity that deserve analysis to provide a baseline for DEI at Search. Search also recognized that representation of women and people of color on the Board and senior leadership is insufficient.
Search’s staff and leadership are committed to engage in an organizational change process to become a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization in a thoughtful, considered but also expeditious fashion.
- Search is committed to fully exemplifying our core values internally and externally by intentionally and strategically advancing diversity, equity and inclusion amongst our staff, our partners and other key stakeholders. We recognize DEI as an essential component of our work.
- We commit to creating a more equitable workplace. This requires fostering a cultural environment where fair treatment, access, opportunity, and advancement for all people is the norm, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers that have prevented the full participation of some groups.
- We seek to ensure the full participation and inclusion of all identities, and we commit to creating environments in which any individual or group feels welcomed, respected, supported, and valued to fully participate.
- This organizational change process will involve building DEI into the very fabric of our organization. To achieve our Strategic Intent, we will:
- Assess the current state of DEI at Search to inform organizational strategy and training design.
- Build DEI knowledge, awareness, and skills among Search Leaders and Staff.
- Cultivate a culture of equity and inclusion at Search.
- Develop a strategy to integrate DEI into Search’s organizational objectives, systems, and processes. We commit to building the enabling mechanism for the success of the strategy.