Background & General Description:
Established in 1944, the WBG is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for development solutions. In fiscal year 2018, the WBG committed $67 billion in loans, grants, equity investments and guarantees to its members and private businesses, of which $24 billion was concessional finance to its poorest members. It is governed by 188-member countries and delivers services out of 120 offices with nearly 15,000 staff located globally.
The WBG consists of five specialized institutions: the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), the International Development Association (IDA), the International Finance Corporation (IFC), the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA), and the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID).
The World Bank Group (WBG) is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries. It uses financial resources and extensive experience to help our client countries to reduce poverty, increase economic growth, and improve quality of life. To ensure that countries can access the best global expertise and help generate cutting-edge knowledge, the World Bank Group is constantly seeking to improve the way it works. Key priorities include delivering measurable results, promoting openness and transparency in development, and improving access to development information and data. Innovation and partnership bond the five institutions of the World Bank Group (WBG): the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) and the International Development Association (IDA), which together form the World Bank; the International Finance Corporation (IFC); the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA); and the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID). The World Bank Group is one of the world's largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries.
The World Bank Group’s (WBG) twin goals of ending extreme poverty and promoting shared prosperity reflect a new global landscape: one in which developing countries have an unprecedented opportunity to end extreme poverty within a generation.
The WBG will face traditional and new challenges as it works with partners to reach those who live in extreme and moderate poverty. Indeed, many of those who emerged from poverty in recent years remain vulnerable to shocks and slowdowns in growth. Concerted efforts to equalize opportunities are necessary for substantial improvements in shared prosperity.
Vice Presidency Context:
- Information and Technology Solutions (ITS) enables the WBG to achieve its mission of ending extreme poverty by 2030 and boosting shared prosperity in a sustainable manner by delivering transformative information and technologies to its staff working in over 130 client countries.
- ITS services range from establishing the infrastructure to reach and connect staff and development stakeholders; providing the devices and agile technology and information applications to facilitate the science of delivery through decentralized services; creating and maintaining tools to integrate information across the World Bank Group, the clients we serve and the countries where we operate; and delivering the computing power staff need to analyze development challenges and identify solutions.
- The ITS business model combines dedicated business solutions centers that provide services tailored to specific World Bank Group business needs and shared services that provide infrastructure, applications and platforms for the entire Group. ITS is one of three VPUs that have been brought together as the World Bank Group Integrated Services (WBGIS), to provide enhanced corporate core services and enable the institution to operate as one strategic and coordinated entity.
The ITS Rapid Application Development (ITSRD or RAD) offers fee-based services across the World Bank Group to help quickly solve specific business problems that fall out of scope from enterprise information technology solutions. RAD uses an accelerated, collaborative, and agile approach to develop these solutions for business partners by providing a full-service approach that includes:
- Assisting clients to navigate the World Bank IT processes and procedures more efficiently;
- Providing fast turnaround on software development and enhancements to new and existing applications that fall out of scope from enterprise IT offerings; and
- Offering quality deliverables and scalable solutions for individual business needs
Duties & Responsibilities:
ITSRD is in search of a Drupal Developer responsible for front-end development and theming as well as back-end/module development. This position requires a combination of programming skills (PHP, HTML, CCS, JS, etc.) and aesthetic ability (understanding design element arrangements on the screen, e.g. color, font etc). The successful candidate will have a strong understanding of industry trends and content management systems; experience with responsive and adaptive design; and robust knowledge of the entire web development process, including design, development and deployment. Responsibilities include the following deliverables:
- Formulate effective, responsive design elements and implement into a working theme
- Establish and guide website architecture
- Ensure high performance and availability
- Manage all technical aspects of the CMS
- Collaborate with internal teams to create visually appealing and intuitive features/functionality
- Test and deploy applications and systems
- Participate in requirements analysis
- Revise, update, refactor and debug code
- Improve existing software
- Develop documentation throughout the software development life cycle (SDLC)
- Serve as an expert on applications and provide technical support
- Proven experience building user interfaces for websites and/or web applications.
- Must have experience developing web solutions in Drupal 7&8 (back-end & front-end code) and PHP implements in a LAMP environment
- Must have experience building responsive websites using HTML/HTML5, XHTML and CSS/CSS3 and ensures compatibility of HTML pages to all platforms Mobile, tablets, and Desktop
- Must have Experience creating Drupal custom Theming & Drupal Custom Module, Caching mechanisms and Site Building
- Must have experience in advanced site-building including deep familiarity with Drupal modules such as CTools, Views, Features and Rules, core API (form, node, Entity, field etc.), Bootstrap, Webservices (REST), Paragraph, along with other contributed modules in LAMP (PHP) stack, scalability, open source, development processes
- Experience building multilingual and multisite websites
- Experience in Drush / Composer commands, Twig, implementing the Apache SOLR search and SEO practices
- Experience with version control and code management tools such as Git etc.
- Experience with Drupal 6&7 to Drupal 8 upgrade and Migrations
- Knowledge on object-oriented programming and shell scripting
- Exposure to Cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure and AWS components like S3, SSE, EC2
- Ability to architect enterprise Drupal solutions including data, display, information architecture and drives code reviews
- Responsible for various aspects of ongoing support and maintenance engagements
- Ability to convert comprehensive layout and wireframes into working HTML pages
- Ability to understand CSS changes for consistent style across platforms and browsers
- Ability to work with debugging tools such as Firebug, Chrome inspector, etc.
- Thorough understanding of the Software Development Lifecycle (e.g. Requirements, Design, Development, Testing) and experience in Agile or iterative SDLCs
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to clearly articulate to all project members and stakeholders
- Team player who works well with technical and non-technical resources
- Must be organized and good at managing deliverables, meeting notes, presentations and other documentation/communications
- Understanding of Agile methodologies
- Excellent troubleshooting skills
- BSc/BA in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field