UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
Background & Rationale
Early Childhood Development is one of the priority areas for UNICEF. Within the results framework of the Strategic Plan, the organization is working towards a core set of results to promote the development of all young children (SDG 4.2.1). 2019 is a key year for the delivery of ECD results as over 85 countries that have listed it as priority area. The ECD team in HQ/PD provides technical support to regional and country offices in the delivery of the ECD multi-sectoral programme, as well as works towards maintaining UNICEF’s technical leadership. To meet the demands from regional and country offices in the achievement of these results, a consultant is needed to fill the needs to support planning, monitoring, budgets and capacity building.
The ECD Consultant reports to the P4 ECD Planning and Results Monitoring Specialist and supports the Section Chief as well as the team as needed.
The consultancy will provide support in two areas:
- Operational support to ECD Planning, Monitoring and Results Management Officer in the implementation of UNICEF HQ ECD work plan. The consultant will support and prepare updates on the delivery of results and organize information on asks related to facilitating program development, implementation, program progress monitoring and reporting in HQ and Country Offices. The consultant will provide timely support for these functions, in close collaboration with relevant UNICEF HQ sectors. He/She also provides timely support and updates for budget monitoring, and monitoring the alignment with the annual workplan, within the section.
- Capacity Building: This will predominantly involve management of the implementation of global knowledge products as part of The Learning to Action Cognitive Development initiative. Specifically, the consultant will be engaged and will coordinate the activities pertaining to the development and creation of Massive Online Open Course – MOOC – with internal and external partners.
The consultant will also work as needed in close collaboration with the other sections in the UNICEF HQ Division and Operations team.
Expected results: (measurable results)
Summary of results-based key functions/accountabilities:
Planning, Monitoring and Budget support
- Support data collection, analysis and reporting of ECD related information/data for development planning and priority and goal setting, including from the SMQ, RAM and COARs.
- Support and organize information from Regional and Country Offices annual reviews’ reports, analyses of progress and expenditures.
- Support ECD program documentations/materials/data dissemination to/from Country and Regional offices.
- Support with the coordination of two annual planning tasks: (i) the Annual Results Report (ARR) and (II) the Mid-Year workplan review.
- Participate with the ECD Planning Specialist and Planning teams in monitoring and evaluation exercises, support in the drafting of annual reviews to assess ECD programs/projects and on required action/interventions at the higher level of program management.
- Support the regular exchange of information with regional and country offices, to assess progress and provide technical support. Report on critical issues, bottlenecks and potential problems for timely action to achieve results.
- Timely management and inputs to contribute to the establishment of the ECD Dashboard in close collaboration with Regional Offices.
- Support Planning Officer in the preparation of regular/mandated ECD program/project reports for management, donors and partners, as needed.
- Support Planning officer with the analyses of budget expenditures and reporting on resources invested in ECD across the organization, in collaboration other divisions.
- Contribute to section administrative and managerial tasks as needed.
Capacity Building & Research Agenda
- Communicate regularly with the technical leads of the ECD team to support the development of the MOOC, help design the curriculum.
- Provide coordination between the internal and external teams working on the platform interface to launch the MOCC course.
- Provide coordination support to the Cognitive Development Working Group in the operationalization of the work plan.
- The position is located in New York. No travel is foreseen for this role. If travel is needed, the consultants will be paid economy travel to/from New York and daily subsistence allowance for the duration of the mission, per UNICEF regulations.
- Coordination of the development and creation of MOOC
- Communications with internal and external teams working on MOOC
- Support for the operationalization of the Cognitive Development Learning to action Agenda.
- Progress updates due the last working day of every month
Planning, Monitoring and Budget
- Compilation of ECD related information/data for development planning, program prioritization and goal setting.
- Updating and supporting analyses of progress toward results through monitoring tools and trackers.
- Inputting and analyses of documentations/materials/data to provide technical support for ECD programme implementation to the field.
- Participation in and providing summary notes on information relevant to the ECD team from all section and divisional planning-related meetings, including meetings related to ARR.
- Coordination of ECD inputs and compilation of narratives to other sections/goal area ARRs.
- Regular briefings and orientations to team on new and existing planning tools, resources and monitoring processes and products
- Support coordination with Regional and Country Office ECD focal points/officers, including organizing virtual meetings and webinars
- Ongoing, updates due the last working day of every month
- Support to team on budget monitoring and deadlines
- Ongoing, updates due the last working day of every month
Key competences, technical background, and experience required Deadline
- A Master's Degree in Social Sciences, Development Studies, Statistics, Public Administration or in directly related technical field (s) is required.
- A minimum of 5 years of professional experience in social development, planning, monitoring and Results-management in early childhood development related areas at the international and/or in a developing country is required.
- Relevant experience in planning, program/project development and management in a UN system agency or organization is an asset.
- Fluency in English (oral and written) is required and another UN language is desirable.