Norwegian Refugee Council, Lebanon
Closing Date for Applications:
Non-formal education educators will be working on the provision of education to refugee children out of school or at risk of dropping out from the formal education system. NRC is addressing the specific needs of those children who are unable - or not ready - to access formal education by providing them with quality education and skills as well as by adequately preparing them to enrol and retain at their correct level in relevant formal schools.
Duties and responsibilities
- Provide effective teaching and facilitation to refugees and vulnerable host community children by employing a variety of methodologies in teaching students, including demonstrations, discussions, and lectures
- Teach basic academic skills, including alphabet, letter recognition, numbers, and others in Arabic and English or French (reading and writing).
- Lead students through creative play and hands-on activities.
- Attend and actively participate in all trainings held by NRC Lebanon, which are mandatory for all educators. If any trainings are missed due to unforeseen reasons, the educator must request the direct supervisor for a make-up training.
- Implement and follow NRC ECE standard curriculum and enrich content where appropriate, including the production and dissemination of teaching handouts and activities sheets
- Maintain a child-friendly and safe teaching/learning environment in the classroom while adopting a holistic approach to teaching (physical, emotional, and intellectual wellbeing)
- Use positive discipline in the classroom
- Assess children's learning achievement with pre, post and periodic assessments during the cycle
- Plan and implement lessons as per the directions of the ETOs
- Attend educator meetings as requested by NRC relevant staff, participate in Teacher Learning Circles, develop extra material during workshops and adapt them to the need of the students, etc. in direct coordination with all relevant NRC Education Team to ensure and maintain high quality delivery learning environment
- Teach and educate students according to the educational needs, abilities and attainment of potential for individual students entrusted to his/her care
- Enhance parental involvement though positive communication channels with parents and PCGs (Parents Community Group) members
- Utilize and protect the educational equipment, such as materials, books, and other learning aid provided by NRC
- Supervise the students upon arrival and departure and between sessions
- Carry out related mainstreaming of protection in programme daily implementation as per the set NRC’s Protection mainstreaming guidelines, and ensures reporting any breaches/concerns to the line manager for proper action.
- University degree in preschool education or TS in preschool education; a certification/license in teaching is a plus
- 1 to 2 years working experience in education or teaching (either at Primary or ECE/KG level)
- Fluent in Arabic, both spoken and written; French or English required according to the subject matter and area of operation