ECE Educator Assistant
Norwegian Refugee Council, Lebanon
Closing Date for Applications:
The ECE (Early Childhood Education) Educator Assistant will be working withECE educators on the provision of education to refugee children out of school or at risk of dropping out from the formal education system. NRC is addressing the specific needs of those children who are unable - or not ready - to access formal education by providing them with quality education and skills as well as by adequately preparing them to enrol and retain at their correct level in relevant formal schools.
Duties and responsibilities
- With the ECE Educator, help in providing effective teaching and facilitation to refugees and vulnerable host community children by employing a variety of methodologies in teaching students, including demonstrations, discussions, and lectures.
- Help in teaching basic academic skills, including alphabet, letter recognition, numbers, and others in Arabic and English or French (reading and writing).
- Participate in crafting tools and materials for the classroom, the daily activity, the center and events when it occurs.
- Attend and actively participate in all trainings held by NRC Lebanon, which are mandatory for all educators. If any trainings are missed due to unforeseen reasons, the educator assistant must request the direct supervisor for a make-up training.
- With the Educator , Implement and follow NRC ECE standard curriculum and enrich content where appropriate, including the production and dissemination of teaching handouts and activities sheets
- Maintain a child-friendly and safe teaching/learning environment in the classroom while adopting a holistic approach to teaching (physical, emotional, and intellectual wellbeing)
Use positive discipline in the classroom
- With the Educator, assess children's learning achievement with pre, post and periodic assessments during the cycle
- Attend educator meetings as requested by NRC relevant staff, participate in Teacher Learning Circles, develop extra material during workshops and adapt them to the need of the students, etc. in direct coordination with all relevant NRC Education Team to ensure and maintain high quality delivery learning environment
- To identify and work with students with special needs in the classroom.
- Utilize and protect the educational equipment, such as materials, books, games and other learning aid provided by NRC
- Supervise the students upon arrival and departure and between sessions
- Help educators and bus aids in lining up students while coming and leaving the center.
- Lead in dropping students off when the bus aid is absent.
- Carry out related mainstreaming of protection in programme daily implementation as per the set NRC’s Protection mainstreaming guidelines, and ensures reporting any breaches/concerns to the line manager for proper action.[if !supportLineBreakNewLine][endif]
- University degree in preschool education , TS in preschool education or any related field; a Teaching Diploma is a plus
- 1 to 2 years working experience in education or teaching (either at Primary or ECE/KG level) is a plus
- Honesty and trustworthiness, and responsive to constructive feedback and advice
- Fluent in Arabic, both spoken and written; French or English required according to the subject matter and area of operation
- Ability to work systematically and organized manner
- Ability to listen actively, understand, communicate effectively, and discuss with supervisors and parents on children's learning problems and psychosocial requirements
- Ability to respect and maintain confidentiality