PURPOSE OF POSITION:
As Economic Development Specialist for World Vision South Sudan, you will be the chief technical advisor for Economic Development programming across the country’s programming portfolio. The position is initially funded by two existing grant projects which will therefore become a large part of the focus of the role.
The specialist support 90% ANCP funded GREAN project ( Greater Resilience for Enhanced Agriculture and Nutrition) and 10% EU funded FORSITE project. The Economic Development specialist will provide overall strategic leadership in the Economic Development sector, guiding relevant programming in both development and emergency response contexts across the country. The job holder will be a thought leader, driving continuous improvement in economic development and market systems development programming through their technical expertise, facilitation of learning and innovation. This leadership shall be seen both within World Vision and externally with other key stakeholders across country, including representing World Vision.
WV South Sudan has an extensive Resilience & Livelihoods programming portfolio from a range of funding including EU, DFID, DFAT, USAID, UNICEF etc. The country office embraces market led approaches to our livelihood development with a focus on the rural poor which naturally aligns a large part of the programming portfolio to market based agricultural development, with necessary ongoing adaptions to the fragile context of South Sudan. Commencement of this new role is aimed at improving the quality of all livelihoods programming country wide, aligning with international best practice.
Resilience and Livelihoods Programming, Market Systems Development:
- Lead ongoing design processes related to all technical requirements of implementing all Resilience and Livelihood programmes and projects with the specific focus on market systems development, including strategy alignment and review processes.
- Monitor programme and project quality at outcome and impact levels, facilitate evidence-based organizational learning processes and promote innovation for continuous improvement in programming impact.
- Support relevant reporting functions, particularly at outcome and impact level, notably including the bi-annual Child Well- being report.
- Support effective implementation of Economic Development, Resilience & Livelihoods programmes and projects through:
- Technical guidance and support to programme and project implementation.
- Technical capacity building of project staff, partner staff and other key stakeholders, as required.
Networking and Collaboration:
Engagement with key stakeholders for influence, learning and resource development:
- Actively represent WV SS in key inter-agency fora.
- Engage and build relationships with key partners and government counterparts.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the Grant Acquisition Business Plan through active engagement with relevant donors.
National Level Sector Advocacy:
- Work in close collaboration with Advocacy Department to advocate for policy change with national-level government stakeholders.
- Collaborate and guide advocacy campaigns, as appropriate.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Post-graduate degree in development studies, agriculture, economics or other relevant field is a requirement.
- Academic and/or direct programming experience and expertise in at least three of the following thematic areas is required: financial inclusion/micro-finance, climate smart agriculture, market systems development, value chain development, small enterprise development, emergency livelihoods programming, cash-based programming.
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience in technical leadership and/or field-based programme management roles in Resilience & Livelihoods sector.
- Strong exposure to working in fragile environment.
- Experience in South Sudan or similar contexts and working in refugee contexts.
- Experience with World Vision’s relevant technical models such as Village Savings & Loans, Local Value Chain Development and Ultra- Poor Graduation Model.
- Experience in Monitoring & Evaluation.
- Track record of success in grant fundraising, including donor relations and proposal writing.
- Effective in written and verbal communication in English (Arabic is an added advantage).
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Knowledge of Project Cycle Management (PCM).
- Comprehensive report writing skills for both internal and external use.