Current Hiring Practices and Trends in the Development Sector
- BY David Mackenzie
(Application closing date: 09 March 2016)
The British Embassy in Hanoi is part of a world-wide network of 270 posts representing British political, defence, economic, trade, and consular interests around the world. We are currently looking to recruit an Economic Officer – Grade C4(L).
This is an important and exciting role, with economic cooperation at the heart of the UK-Vietnam Strategic Partnership. The jobholder will lead the UK’s engagement with Vietnam on a range of fascinating and high-profile policy issues, including economic and financial sector reform. Developing and leading technical cooperation projects that support economic reform in Vietnam will be an increasingly important part of the role. The jobholder will supply a steady stream of high-quality economic analysis on Vietnam to UK Government departments and businesses. They will also use their economic analytical skills to support UK Trade and Investment’s efforts to expand two-way trade and investment between the UK and Vietnam.
The jobholder will need to work closely with a range of teams in the Embassy, as well as with UK Government departments in London. They will need to build and utilise an extensive network of local contacts in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City.
In addition to being a core part of the Embassy team, the jobholder will also be a member of a regional (South East Asia) team and will regularly contribute to, and on some occasions lead on, regional reports and project work. They will join a team of six economists based throughout South East Asia, line managed by the network leader in Singapore.
The appointment will initially be on a 1-Year Fixed-Term contract, subject to extension.
• Monitoring, analysing and reporting regularly on economic developments in Vietnam, including briefing high-level visitors from the UK and British businesses
• Developing and overseeing the implementation of projects that encourage economic and financial sector reform in Vietnam, in particular leading the development of Prosperity Fund projects in this area
• Providing analytical input into broader efforts to boost UK-Vietnam trade and investment links
• Building an extensive network of contacts in government, academia, and the private sector throughout Vietnam to help inform reporting and promote UK policy objectives
• Contributing to (and on some occasions leading) regional reports and project work, and actively contributing to discussions on our economic priorities in the region
• A degree in economics, or equivalent level of competence, is required
• Strong team working skills
• Excellent written and spoken English and Vietnamese, and strong communication skills
• Self-motivation and the ability to work under light supervision
• Experience in programme and project management is highly desirable
• Familiarity and/or a track record of economic work on/with the Vietnamese economy, and preferably a good network of contacts in government and the private sector is highly desirable
• An understanding of Vietnam’s role in the regional context
• Experience working on/understanding of financial sector issues
• Familiarity with the UK is not required, but could be an advantage
The post will involve some travel, in particular fairly regular visits to Ho Chi Minh City (where we have a Consulate-General) and the occasional trip to Singapore and/or London. There could be an option for the jobholder to be based in Ho Chi Minh City if they prefer.
• Delivering at Pace
• Collaborating and Partnering
• Delivering a Quality Service
• Making Effective Decisions
• Leading and Communicating
• Changing and Improving
Compensation and Benefits
The salary for this position starts at VND 471,913,125 per annum.
The British Embassy offers a competitive remuneration package including salary, leave entitlement, flexible working patterns, medical package for staff and dependants, and opportunities for learning and development.
Please send your CV and the completed application form, which can be downloaded from our website at, https://www.gov.uk/government/world/organisations/british-embassy-hanoi/about/recruitment to email@example.com with an email subject heading following this format: EO_SURNAME First Name.
All applications must be received on or before 09 March 2016 (Wednesday). Please note that incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. We regret to advise that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Employment offers are subject to the successful clearance of pre-employment checks.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy Hanoi is subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law.
The British Embassy is an equal opportunities employer and does not discriminate on grounds of ethnic origin, race, religious beliefs, age, disability, gender or sexual orientation.