The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
In 2003, following the start of foreign military operations in Iraq, DRC became one of the first organisations to provide humanitarian assistance in the country, and now operates in 11 governorates, including Anbar, Baghdad, Babel, Diyala, Duhok, Erbil, Karbala, Kirkuk, Najaf, Ninewa and Salah-al-Din.
About the job:
The Economic Recovery Coordinator has the overall responsibility for designing, coordinating, supporting, and representing DRC's Economic Recovery program in Iraq in external coordination mechanisms.
- Develop program strategy and priorities based on thorough understanding of needs and context
- Lead development, harmonization, and roll out of SOPs, tools and guidelines
- Provide regular technical support and guidance to Project Managers/Team Leaders and other relevant staff in both a structured manner and on a case by case basis.
- Assure compliance with DRC standards and procedures and alignment with global strategy, through regular coordination with colleagues in support services at Area Office and Country Office level.
- Coordinate with sector colleagues at RO and HQ levels as appropriate about relevant
- Complete regular field visits to ensure technical oversight, capacity building and support, identify needs, and ensure quality programming
- Ensure that programming is integrated with other DRC sectors by closely working with other sector coordinators and relevant staff in the field
Technical Line Management
- Development of harmonized job descriptions and structures in all area offices
- Participate in the recruitment of technical staff in the same field
- Identify technical gaps and support capacity building for technical line reports
- Contribute to setting performance objectives and performance appraisals of technical staff in the same field
- When necessary, and with approval of his/her line manager, provide stop-gap support in absence of PMs/TLs, in close coordination with senior national colleagues (identified by the PM before his/her absence)
Programme Development, Coordination, and Oversight
- Lead design of proect proposals, in coordination with Area Manager, PMs and Project Development department
- Oversight and coordination of sectoralprojects, in coordination with Area Managers and PMs and other relevant field staff
- Lead on developing assessments, including inter-sectoral assessments to inform evidence based planning and implementation
- Lead on the development of relevant and appropriate beneficiary selection criteria and beneficiary identification process and oversee compliance to agreed standards and guidelines
- Map donor priorities within given sector and identify new opportunities
- Provide technical review of all proposals and reports and other relevant sector-specific donor communications
- Lead on program review meetings where he/she is the focal point and contribute to other program review meetings as necessary (Grant Opening, Review, & Close Out Meetings
- Oversight and monitoring of overall sector budget, including budget development, in coordination with PMs and Area Managers or Base Managers, monitoring for timely sector-level spend, and initiate corrective action, including internal and donor budget realignments
- Oversight of overall program implementation progress and quality; identification, resolution and/or escalation of issues;
- Work with M&E to develop harmonized tools and databases to monitor and track efficiency and quality of programming and improve information management within the sector focal points
- Work closely with M&E in design, implementation, and evaluation of sector-level programming
- Coordinate with M&E to ensure accountability mechanisms are established for programming
Coordination and Donor Engagement
- Lead participation at Clusters, including direct participation at the national level and coordination of representation at the sub-national level. Also participate in working groups/strategic advisory groups, to represent DRC and its mandate
- Act as the main sector-level point of contact with donors; support donor visits to the field
- Provide technical input and support strategic direction of the sector-level response within the humanitarian community
- Report issues and challenges to the donor in a timely manner, in coordination with the HOP
- Liaise with local, regional, and national government authorities and relevant stakeholders
- Raise any issues of non-compliance and assure compliance with DRC standards and procedures
- Coordinate with Comms/Advocacy for success story content, communication tools, etc.
- Provide regular updates to HoP
- Any other duties as agreed with HoP
Reporting to: Head of Programmes
Experience and technical competencies:
- Proven experience of at least 6 years in international field economic recovery, livelihoods and cash programs;
- Proven communication, interpersonal, representation, negotiation, promotion and diplomacy skills;
- Proven strong analytical and communication skills;
- Strategic thinker with the ability to quickly develop good insight and understanding of the conflict and the economic environment of the program country;
- Sound understanding of humanitarian architecture;
- Cultural sensitivity and adaptability;
- Experience in international humanitarian work, advocacy and policy development, and cluster coordination mechanisms;
- Experience with managing teams and providing technical guidance and training
- Able to manage high work load and deadlines in an efficient and timely manner
- Able to manage stress and be flexible
Education: Master degree or higher education relevant to humanitarian work;
Languages: (Reading and Writing)
- Proficiency in spoken and written English is essential.
- Arabic is an asset