Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role
Palladium is seeking a Business Enabling Environment (BEE) Lead for an exciting upcoming DFID funded programme in Ghana. The programme is DFID Ghana's flagship investment-led job creation programme that will help Ghana transition away from aid dependence in line with the Government of Ghana (GoG) "Ghana beyond Aid" strategy. It seeks to leverage increased investments into the manufacturing and industrial sectors, and introduce new technology and management capabilities, increasing the capabilities of the workforce generating formal employment and economic diversification. This will be done through 4 components: 1) industrial policy development; 2) investment promotion and facilitation for investors in four or five target sectors (as defined under the GoG Ten-Point Plan); 3) increasing engagement of domestic firms in sectors attracting investment; and 4) addressing enabling environment gaps around investments.
The BEE Lead acts as the central point of contact for the fourth component around addressing enabling environment gaps around investments in Ghana. The BEE Lead will be responsible for leading JET's efforts to remove policy barriers inhibiting increased capital flow to the target sectors, by overseeing the identification, prioritisation, and implementation of policy reforms using a partnership approach thank links key government stakeholders and industry representatives. The BEE Lead will ensure the reform efforts include a systematic framework to prioritise, screen for inclusion, and monitor forward progress.
- Identify and prioritise enabling environment barriers to investment. Oversee and participate in initial assessment to identify, screen, and prioritise a list of policy/regulatory barriers based on the ability of each to impede capital flows to the target sectors
- Work with the JET Investment Team to determine business enabling environment constraints and challenges faced by private sector entities, including firms and associations.
- Participate in regular portfolio reviews and project stakeholder meetings, and liaise with other DFID implementing partners to continue to identify and refine policy reform priorities throughout project implementation.
- Develop strong working relationships with the programme's contact points in the Ghanaian Government, national agencies, DFID and other donor programmes in the investment and business enabling environment space, and leading on reporting to them, through both formal and informal channels
- Use Palladium methodologies to map policy solutions and processes, including target milestones and action plans outlining steps for each stakeholder for each enabling environment reform effort.
- Monitor implementation of enabling environment reform efforts. Track progress, facilitate stakeholder meetings to monitor results and address barriers, report on progress.
- Liaise with the MELI team to publish, measure and track policy reform progress and finalised policy changes;
- Lead/oversee implementation of analyses of potential changes to focus sector policies that will remove barriers inhibiting large scale investment;
- Lead partnership development between government and private sector industries, convening key stakeholders to build consensus;
- Manage the work of STTA resources brought on by JET to support the project in its policy reform efforts
- Develop strong working relationships and a regular dialogue on programme progress and challenges with the Team Leader, other senior programme staff and the Project Manager
- Relevant Academic Background (MBA, MA in Business, Economics, International Development, Agriculture, etc.) and significant experience in a similar role
- Significant experience required in the business, finance and investment field, with a focus on business enabling environment and policy reform, preferably in Ghana
- Demonstrated experience drafting policy reform related to private sector development and investment required
- Experience in Ghanaian private sector development, SME financing, financial inclusion preferred
- Experience working with donor (preferably DFID) funded programmes
- Excellent contacts with the Ghanaian public sector and international banking/investment fields
- Impeccable professional record and integrity
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills