Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
Duties and Accountabilities:
The Economist will provide technical support to a number of global practices working on Turkey under the guidance of the respective task team leader (TTL). The Economist is expected to undertake the following tasks:
- preparing literature reviews;
- conducting data analysis using household and/or firm surveys and administrative records;
- including analysis on impact of public programs and policies;
- writing of technical notes & background papers;
- preparing informal notes for the team on new events, data and policies regarding employment, poverty & social protection and education;
- providing technical support to the preparation and supervision of lending operations;
- communicating with government counterparts and other partners (e.g. academia, civil society, other international organizations);
- supporting teams visiting from Washington DC;
- other tasks as needed.
- The Economist will be supervised by the ECA Practice Manager for Social Protection and Labor, based in Washington DC.
- The Program Leader responsible for Equity and Social Services for Turkey, based in Ankara will coordinate the work program with the different TTLs.
- The Economist will be stationed in Ankara, Turkey.
- The duration of contract is two years, renewable.
The Economist is expected to contribute to a number of current areas of work, including:
- Labor and development in Turkey
- Poverty measurement and analysis
- Social Protection
- Refugee issues
The successful candidate should have the following qualifications:
- Advanced degree (Masters, preferably PhD), in Economics or Public Policy and at least 5 years of relevant experience;
- Excellent skills with statistical programming packages, including STATA;
- Excellent command of econometrics, including causal inference methods;
- Interpersonal and communication skills to successfully operate in team-based work culture;
- Ability to undertake tasks independently;
- Significant professional experience in economic research or public policy analysis (work on Turkey is a plus);
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English and Turkish;
- Ability to work under tight deadlines, manage multi-task requirements and a high degree of pro-activity and initiative;
- Hands-on and results-oriented approach; and
- Willingness to travel, as required by the different tasks.